boot only working when the back drivers side door is open

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: eastonch

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 130000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi Guys,

Hopefully I can come to an end with this horrific problem with my Boot.

I've posted here before in regards to my boot being a pain, and been told the standard, check the switch, etc, My boot started to only work when I had the back drivers side door open, that's fine, I could live with that, but then one day it decided to just stop opening, I can here the button being pressed, but not the sound of the latch clicking open for me to open the boot.

I've tried so many methods to get this open, I got it working about a week ago by pushing it down as hard as I could then holding the switch tight, this worked, but has since been another expired method.

I'm now resorting to carrying around a small screwdriver in my car to pop it open from the inside and opening it fully from the outside (thank god for the simplicity of this..).

I wouldn't be in such a hurry to get this working, but with me going to loads of gigs and festivals this summer, getting this resolved is of TOP priority at the moment.

I've searched around, and to what I can feel, it feels like the switch has come away from the powersupply somehow, or possibly the wiring for the microswitch has completely ran amock.

Would something like...
this CITROEN-C3-TAILGATE-MICRO-SWITCH-HANDLE- be helpful?

Or would it be best to go for the Microswitch itself and replace that, I assume it's as easy as plugging it in.

I was going to take it to an autoelectricians, but thought If I had something to go off, this would save me both time and money, if anybody could get back to me in regards to resolving this myself, I'd be really appreciative!

The above video is the current method of opening my boot, the most annoying way ever, it's also quite embarrassing having to stop my friends from getting in the car while I pop the boot open with my screwdriver, makes me feel a bit tacky and like a thief :).

Thanks,
Chris.

Car Info:

Citroen C3 : 1.4i LX 52' plate.
Petrol Injection
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Chris,
Chris wrote: I've searched around, and to what I can feel, it feels like the switch has come away from the powersupply somehow, or possibly the wiring for the microswitch has completely ran amock.
The way I would try to get to the bottom of all this would be to test, test and test. I wouldn't buy any new parts until I have identified the part or parts that are faulty.

Its quite easy to test the switch, remove it from the car and check the resistance while operating the switch, you can repeat this 100s of times to be sure that your results are consistent. You could also operate the motor solenoid on the bench from a 12v supply / the car battery. There is a switch in the solenoid/motor pack which you can test for resistance too. You may find these things work fine under test so you can start looking elsewhere.

Check for a 12v supply to the switch and to the motor solenoid pack, without this its just not going to work. There is also an earth to check.

The supply to the switch and the the motor/solenoid is controlled by the BSI computer, so it could even be something to do with that, this is where testing will guide you to where the problem lies.

I would check the 40 way grey connector on the BSI is connected well and not loose - disconnect it and then reconnect it. (See the arrow)
Citroen C3 fuse box - BSI - central locking plug
Citroen C3 fuse box - BSI - central locking plug
I think you could well find that its a poor electrical connection, rather than a faulty component, but that's just me guessing :)

The Haynes manual has the diagram for the boot locking with all the information you need to test the bits, use a Multimeter to test voltages and resistances on the car.

You can find a cheap (yet very suitable for testing 12v DC circuits and resistance checks) multimeters on eBay (click here)
My Name: eastonch

Contributor
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 130000
Trim Level: Desire

Hi,

Been rushed off my feet so only just got chance to look at this, got the boot open again and started having a prod around the switch, doesnt look like it's working, but with the microswitch still pushing, I assume it's either gone super loose and fallen out when ive gone over a bump, or something to do with the wiring in the middle somewhere.

I'll get a trim tool and do that next week, to ensure, I'll also get myself a new MultiMeter while im at it.

I couldnt seem to get my dash-fuse box lowered, I tried everything I could, it just wouldnt budge.

Am I just being nieve or can be these be stuck? The last guy who tried was my mechanic and it took him a little bit to figure it out, I moved the while clip and it started to have more movement, but it never 'dropped' or 'lowered'.

It looks like it was stuck on the left side, not the right side where the white lever is, but there's nothing on that side I could press or push? Confused.

Any hints on that would be great.

Thanks guys,
/Chris.
My Name: bill sutton

Experienced Member

It looks like it was stuck on the left side, not the right side where the white lever is
Thats because it is, it has the white clip affair on the right, but on the left it clips directly on the dash board side, so you have to push the dash board side leftwards to disengage it. With the front dropped, lift the back up and forwards (its in two runners).
It took me ages to figure it out and within a fraction of resorting to physical violence, you are not alone.
My Name: Lloyd

Contributor
Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 45000
Trim Level: VTR+

Hi did you fix this in the end?