Blind spot monitoring system fault. Odd one.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

I have an odd problem with my blind spot monitoring system. This is not the common one with a warning which you get when travelling on wet roads caused by spray. I have that on my C3 and C4 Picasso. This is an odd false positive. As I drive along a road with kerb on the right hand side, the little red light on the mirror lights. As you go past dropped kerbs the light goes off and relights when the kerb starts again. I am not at present aware whether it functions correctly on a dual carriageway. I have cleaned both of the sensors, but no change. Oh well! In for creaking steering next Friday so they can look at that as well.

C3 Master

Now gone further. On Friday I had a warning on the screen twice for blind spot sensor fault come up twice. Today I've had the same warning, but at the end it changes momentarily to 'blind spot system switched off' or similar. It is so momentary that it may have come up on Friday and I haven't noticed it. However, when you restart the car the same thing happens again.

C3 Master

After a couple of very annoying visits where I felt I wasn't being taken seriously, I have taken our car in for the third time today. After telling them clearly what the issue was, I supplied the video below and told them that I had had multiple warnings 'blind spot system fault' frequently followed by 'blind spot system disabled'. Not much confidence if you get the warning and you then drive on a motorway where the system not working could have serious repercussions. Not that the manual does state that the system should not be triggered by stationary objects, in the video the stationary object is the offside kerb.

So this time having viewed the video and seeing that there is definitely a problem, they hooked up to diagbox, found multiple faults and cleared them. They then got in touch with the manufacturer who claimed, as frequently happens in the industry 'they all do that' Sorry, that is bullsh1t. On the way home the alarm went off again, presumably depositing two more faults into whichever system stores them.

I was advise that, as the agent could not do more, to contact Citroen Care, which I did as soon as I got home. I passed on all of this and the agent didn't seem impressed and agrees it needs sorting. Down to Citroen Care then.

As they all do that, I wondered if anyone else with a C3 with blind spot monitoring could watch the video and tell me whether theirs does it as well.

C3 Master

This is getting frustrating and I'm starting to get very annoyed.

If anyone has a current model C3 with blind spot monitoring, I would be grateful to hear what you think of this.

The car had shown no symptoms of this fault prior to early this year . The car is 2 years old and I have had it from new so I know that this fault has not occurred in the first 2 years.

I took the car in on 1st April (an appropriate date. This is what they found. 'Confirmed fault, found blind spot fault on screen, found multiple codes in parking ECU, see attached code (no codes are attached) found 2 TSBs relating to fault, faults are characteristics of the vehicle, no repair required, deleted codes, conform to spec.'

So the situation is.
I know there is a fault.
The car knows there is a fault.
The agent know there is a fault.
Citroen Technical say they are all like it, it is a characteristic of the vehicle.
Agent says Technical say there is no fault, so there is no fault and there is nothing further they can do, and to contact Citroen Customer Care.

So I contacted customer care late afternoon on 1st April. I received a reply the same afternoon. I sent the video link, and I have spoken to someone who confirmed that they have received the video. Since then I have called several times, been told who the case worker is, and been told several times that he will call back but he hasn't. If nothing happens I will be trying to escalate on Monday.

In the meantime the car is in today for new front struts under warranty. I had a further conversation this morning with both of the receptionists, who basically say that as the techs say there is no issue they cannot do anything. It is apparently down to me to sort the issue. In the meantime in the last 14 days, I have had the alarm come up 45-50 times, including 5 times on the way to the agent.

So I really don't know where this is going. I have a car under warranty and someone should be responsible for fixing the issue. It shouldn't be me.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

routemaster1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:05 pm So I really don't know where this is going. I have a car under warranty and someone should be responsible for fixing the issue. It shouldn't be me.
Ultimately, if Citroen won't/can't fix it, they should just buy the car back from you :D

Keep plugging away at them, as you say, there is a fault.

Also keep us updated please as this may also generate interest from other Citroen C3 owners that have a Blind spot monitoring system fault that give spurious errors while driving.

C3 Master

Surprise Surprise. I had a call from Customer Care today. I'm told that there has been some miscommunication (meaning complete foul-up) From what I can make out, despite being told that the garage had been in touch with the Tech department, it now sounds like the garage tech was the one who said they are all like it. I am now supposed to be contacted to arrange to have the now 50+ fault read and passed on to the Citroen Tech. Apparently this may take up to a week. Then we will see what happens.

I must say that the new receptionists (one in particular) have been quite obstructive, will not listen, and have been extremely patronising. I am considering complaining about their attitude to the service manager. I may have to complain anyway.

C3 Master

So the latest on our C3. Despite a new top mount and a new pair of struts the creak is still there. I'm beginning to suspect the steering rack.

I've also managed to discover more about the blind spot issue. I couldn't understand who had actually no-faulted the system, but the car was in on Thursday to have the faults read. I had a chance to chat with the Tech and he clarified what had happened last time. Apparently they had actually contacted Citroen Tech and they had actually no-faulted it. But it doesn't explain why the agent didn't go back to Citroen Tech when I explained that it had faulted about 50 times in the previous 2 weeks. Apparently the technician took the car out for a test drive and it faulted twice on the test.

So this time they only found one recorded fault, despite now being up to 80-90 on screen faults. So it's now down to Citroen Tech to agree that there is a fault and the next course of action.

So the car is in at the end of the month for 5 days with a loan car (usually availability of loan car which gives long lead), so hopefully we will get this sorted.

C3 Master

Latest on this. After the latest attempt at sorting this issue failed, and being told that they either couldn't or wouldn't look at it any more, I got in touch with customer care. I got a somewhat terse email, saying 'try another dealer'. So I did. Told them all that had happened and no parts had been changed. Left it with them this morning, and got a call within 2 hours reporting that the sensors were faulty (quelle surprise). 2 new sensors on order, one unfortunately backordered. They need to arrive and be painted before fitting. I'm not counting chickens yet, but at least I am hopeful that it may be fixed in a month or two. It's only likely to have taken ~ 10 months.

C3 Master

Bad news on this. I was told a few weeks ago that the sensors were supposed to be arriving in the factory (presumably in France) on 21st January. I gave them a couple of weeks and got in touch yesterday. Apparently my sensor back-order has disappeared from the garage's list. There is an 'unavailable shortage'. The issue has been forwarded to the regional after-sales managers. Apparently there are 34 on order from dealerships across the country. I have to assume that this isn't just C3s. The dealer has stated that the car is VOR to try to speed up the process but I don't think it will make any difference. I have got back to Citroen Customer Care, but nt heard anything from them yet, but it is only one day. The issues I have had with this car, and the failure to sort out 6 years of aircon failure on a C4 Picasso (not to mention that if there is a C4 Picasso issue I have had it) have meant that my latest car isn't a Citroen. Just hope its not'out of the frying pan, into the fire'.

C3 Master

To complete this saga. Several weeks ago I got a call saying the parts had arrived and were fitted about 3 weeks ago. The great news is that the issue is completely solved, as I knew it was as soon as I didn't get false positives from kerbs or hedges. Not a single alarm. If you look back over the thread I may have poster I had 25 alarms over a 90 minute journey.

So the question really is, why did the first dealer not diagnose this first time and cause me so much grief if the second dealer diagnosed it correctly in 30 minutes. It would have only taken 2-3 weeks if diagnosed a year ago in stead of 13 months.

Now all I have to do is get my creaking suspension fixed, which now has been in progress sine February last year. I asked the second dealer to look at it as they did such a good job on the blind spot system. They diagnosed top mounts, but couldn't do anything as the first dealer has tried and failed to fix under warranty. Trouble is that the first time it went in it had a new top bearing, and the last time it went in in March it has both top bearings changed!