Binding Front N/S Disc Brake

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Rich C

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2005 (55)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 158000
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi There,
I am at my wits end trying to solve a braking problem so any info would be really appreciated. Here goes.... I own a Citroen C3 1.6Hdi 2005 with 145,000 miles on. Car runs faultless until I recently changed discs and pads like I have done many times before. Checked for runout etc. Slider pins all free and easy and greased up. Took car for a run and all seemed fine. Took car on about 6 mile journey up motorway and when I got back off could smell overheating brake. Driver side perfect but passenger side smelt awful.
Stripped back down and when I tried to compress caliper piston back in it felt firmer than usual. Read about collapsing brake pipes so changed that ( piston in caliper ok while off car piston compresses easily) and bled it up. But. N/s brake still binding.
I wondered if anyone could suggest anything else without masses of expense. There are no warning lights on dash from Abs. Wondered if any of valves inside abs unit could be at fault I.e. not allowing fluid return from that caliper? It seems strange to just have it on one wheel and no abs lights if it is faulty? All other three brakes spear to operate normally without binding.
When brake overheated the abs unit is closest to front n/s brake for heat to return up brake pipe. Could this have been an issue.
Has anyone experience of this?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the C3 forum Rich C,
Has anyone experience of this?
Not personally, but have a look at the issue that nikroc had recently, which sounds very similar to yours?

C3 BEARING/HUB HELP topic.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: nikroc

Experienced Member
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 93000

UPDATE that may help you...I've just 'DISCOVERD' that the new disc does not sit flush with the hub...the hub has a flange which the disc butts against only on my hub I also have a lip which is stopping the disc sitting flush to the hub and causing the disc to run out of true..and binding my brakes...hth

nikroc wrote:UPDATE that may help you...I've just 'DISCOVERD' that the new disc does not sit flush with the hub...the hub has a flange which the disc butts against only on my hub I also have a lip which is stopping the disc sitting flush to the hub and causing the disc to run out of true..and binding my brakes...hth
Hiya Nikroc
At the moment no success. My disc sits fine and measured runout is within tolerances. Starting to lean towards replacing caliper even though it appears OK its next in line to try before more expensive master cylinder (which I doubt as all other brakes work fine?)
Thanks for comment anyway, its always worth a shout. Rich
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Stripped back down and when I tried to compress caliper piston back in it felt firmer than usual. Read about collapsing brake pipes so changed that ( piston in caliper ok while off car piston compresses easily) and bled it up. But. N/s brake still binding.
C3 Haynes manual mentions that while compressing the piston back into the caliper that the expelled fluid should be routed to a container via the bleed nipple. This avoids pushing the fluid that's been sitting around the caliper, which may have picked up containments from the caliper, back into the ABS modulator.

Do you think this may have happened?

Distance from the NSF to the ABS Modulator is the shortest pipe run by the looks of things
Citroen C3 ABS pump sits on top of ABS ECU
Citroen C3 ABS pump sits on top of ABS ECU

Experienced Member

After my last post I used a dremmel to clean the ridge away,ten minutes tops. The disc fits perfectly now BUT I then discovered that the caliper hanger/bracket was fouling on the disc!!!

Out came the dremmel again and I removed some material from the bracket n then the retaining spring/plate. All goes back together smoothly and the fecking calipers jammed soild on the disc!!!...on the hunt for a caliper.

Anyone know if any other citreon caliper fits??
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Anyone know if any other citreon caliper fits??
I bet C2 stuff fits, but I have never tried it. I

You can find used Citroen C3 calipers on eBay here - click the link to see them. I know the low power engines have smaller calipers than the more powerful engines, so double check the fitment.

Hi There,
Further to my binding disc NSF i have power bled them all through so in theory should be sorted. It didnt sort it but up to press it now appears that one of the caliper sliders was warped/buckled just ever so slightly. That hindered the brake releasing the caliper. Changed them and appears to be ok at the moment. Will update further as i progress.
Many thanks to all who have read my posts or replied.
Its really appreciated.
Richard

Experienced Member

I've finally found out what my problem is...when I had the wheel bearing pressed in they inadvertently bent the caliper mounting bracket out of line. The caliper actually sits at an angle against the disc!!!