Battery draining?

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: MATTHEW LOMAX

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Rhythm
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

just a quick question on Monday 6th Jan 14 the battery on my wife's car was flat now its been fully charged and done every test i could think of to do i.e charge battery which it accepted a full charge of 12.6v, then i tested the alternator which has only just been replaced about 4 weeks ago and that was charging to the recommended 14.4 v i also checked the draw on the battery when the car was in its locked state and that reading was 9.4 ma. since recharging I've tested the battery at the end of the day so Mondays voltage was 12.6 v Tuesdays 12.3 v Wednesday we went for a long drive 12.4 v and this dinnertime its down to 12 v now i don't think that's right and was just looking for some sort of reassurance that it could only be the battery that's not holding charge or is there any more test i could do? thanx.
53 plate 1.4 hdi 70 bhp lx
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

You can have the battery tested under load, which is a real test of the battery. Use a tool like this on ebay. It has a resistive load to test the battery under a load rather than just measuring the voltage.

Citroen C3 battery load tester
Citroen C3 battery load tester
Test C3 battery with this tool

You will find that garages that sell batteries have these sort of testing tools. If your battery is past its warranty then you can be quite sure that it is past its best. Euro car parts often have deals on batteries, worth comparing prices.
My Name: waterboy

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2008 (08)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 80000

Hi

I had the same problem with our C4. The battery was flat most mornings or nearly. Turned out the fuse box was faulty, causing lights wipers and fan to run at random times and flatten the battery. Picked up a replacement fuse box on ebay, swapped over..... no more problems.

This may solve the problem on the C3 as well

Cost was less than £100 and was quite easy to do.

Alan
My Name: MATTHEW LOMAX

Experienced Member
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: Rhythm

Hi had the battery tested needless to say it died but £52 for a new battery didn't think was that bad so only thing i can think of is the battery was getting old the alternator has recently been changes so that wouldn't of been charging battery very well and its been flippin cold. Still gonna keep eye on it and thanx for the tip with fuse box will keep any eye on that too.