Auto Wipers query

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: fraz101

Contributor
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 11:20 am
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Post

Just bought my C3 HDI last week.

One thing i'd like to ask about the Auto Wiper function, it works fine,however when i first start the car up when it's raining they don't work,i have to move the switch to 0 then back to auto every time i start the car in order for them to function?

Is that normal?
User avatar
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Posts: 3437
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)
Has thanked: 320 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Post

fraz101 wrote:Just bought my C3 HDI last week.

One thing i'd like to ask about the Auto Wiper function, it works fine,however when i first start the car up when it's raining they don't work,i have to move the switch to 0 then back to auto every time i start the car in order for them to function?

Is that normal?
Try pulling the stick towards you to dispense some screen wash. Then they will continue to function automatically after that.

Its normal for them to work like this on my C3. I assumed its to stop the wipers dragging dirt across the screen before you get a chance to squirt screen wash over it.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: fraz101

Contributor
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 11:20 am
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Post

Thanks for the reply

Yes it's either or i guess,switch them off then back on or work the screen wash.

Either way you need to wake them up everytime you re start the car.

Weird. I doubt they thats how they should function,just a minor niggle really.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Moderator
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 pm
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Post

I think it's a good idea, nothing worse than forgetting to switch off your wipers and then when it's dry and you restart the car, that lovely rubber scraping on glass sound as the wipers grind dirt into the windscreen :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: fraz101

Contributor
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 11:20 am
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Post

Missing Lincs wrote:I think it's a good idea, nothing worse than forgetting to switch off your wipers and then when it's dry and you restart the car, that lovely rubber scraping on glass sound as the wipers grind dirt into the windscreen :lol:
Your missing the point, when they are set to "Auto" they wouldn't come on if it's not raining.

The "Auto" function makes them come on when its raining,not when dry.

We shouldn't have to activated them everytime the vehicle is started.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Moderator
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:29 pm
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)
Location: United Kingdom
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 35 times

Post

Ah, I get what you mean now. The auto position on our wipers is similar to intermittent wipers but the repetition rate varies with car speed. What you have is full blown rain sensitive wipers. Very nice. :D
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
User avatar
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Posts: 3437
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)
Has thanked: 320 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Post

fraz101 wrote:Your missing the point, when they are set to "Auto" they wouldn't come on if it's not raining.
The sensor doesn't know its raining, it just knows that something is blocking it. It could be dust, sand or dirt, or maybe water. I think Citroen have left it up to the driver to operate the screen wash before the automatic wiping starts which could damage the blades if its sand or dirt?
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: fraz101

Contributor
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 11:20 am
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Post

Missing Lincs wrote: The auto position on our wipers is similar to intermittent wipers but the repetition rate varies with car speed. :D
No it doesn't vary with speed i don't think, it varies with amount of rain fall?
User avatar
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Posts: 3437
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:47 pm
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)
Has thanked: 320 times
Been thanked: 121 times

Post

fraz101 wrote:
Missing Lincs wrote: The auto position on our wipers is similar to intermittent wipers but the repetition rate varies with car speed. :D
No it doesn't vary with speed i don't think, it varies with amount of rain fall?
The exclusive has rain sensing wipers that vary the rate depending on the rainfall - from 2002 models :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: fraz101

Contributor
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue May 12, 2015 11:20 am
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Post

Arfur Dent wrote:
fraz101 wrote:
Missing Lincs wrote: The auto position on our wipers is similar to intermittent wipers but the repetition rate varies with car speed. :D
No it doesn't vary with speed i don't think, it varies with amount of rain fall?
The exclusive has rain sensing wipers that vary the rate depending on the rainfall - from 2002 models :)
That'll be mine then......
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post