Auto headlights not switching on.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: 1Scotty1

Top Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 88000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Arfur Dent wrote:
1Scotty1 wrote:Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I mounted DRL to my c3 and it won't work due to the headlights automatically switching on when I start the car. I tried the button at the end of the stalk with the key in all positions, no chime... Is thereany way to turn off the automatic headlights? Or what am I foing wrong? Thanks
You only need to put the key in accessories position, not all of them.

With the key in acc position, press and hold the button on the stalk and wait for the chime.
C3driver52 wrote:If you don't get the chime, then maybe the stalk is faulty, or the BSI is giving problems.
I meant that I tried the stalk button at first position, the second, not all at once. But still nothing... And is there any way to determine if the stalk is faulty or the BSI is the culprit? Because everything on the stalk works except the automatic headlights
My Name: Richc69

Contributor
Year: 2005 (55)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 164000
Trim Level: Touch
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hiya. Depending on year of C3 you have to go into menu settings on dash to switch lights auto or not. I didn't notice if you said what year it was. On mine 55 plate it's a menu button on stereo that gets you into system settings like auto lights etc etc. Hope that helps?

Top Contributor

Richc69 wrote:Hiya. Depending on year of C3 you have to go into menu settings on dash to switch lights auto or not. I didn't notice if you said what year it was. On mine 55 plate it's a menu button on stereo that gets you into system settings like auto lights etc etc. Hope that helps?
Mine is 2003, will look into it, thanks
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

1Scotty1 wrote:
Richc69 wrote:Hiya. Depending on year of C3 you have to go into menu settings on dash to switch lights auto or not. I didn't notice if you said what year it was. On mine 55 plate it's a menu button on stereo that gets you into system settings like auto lights etc etc. Hope that helps?
A 2003 will need a lexia clone (see here) to look at the signal from the stalk and even the programming if the auto wipers or rain sensor has a fault or has been configured 'off'. Did the auto wipers ever work?

There is a topic for the lexia (here).

These are the sort of screen you find in lexia (an example).
wash wipe citroen c3 lexia
wash wipe citroen c3 lexia
wipers diagnostic Citroen C3 Lexia tool
wipers diagnostic Citroen C3 Lexia tool
wiper commands on the C3 in lexia
wiper commands on the C3 in lexia
Rain sensor faults not detected on a Citroen C3
Rain sensor faults not detected on a Citroen C3
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Top Contributor

Arfur Dent wrote:
1Scotty1 wrote:
A 2003 will need a lexia clone (see here) to look at the signal from the stalk and even the programming if the auto wipers or rain sensor has a fault or has been configured 'off'. Did the auto wipers ever work?
Funny you ask, the auto wipers never worked either. Today I was with my car to have it hooked up to a diagnostic and the dude couldn't even find the settings, and people like him run a car servicing garage... But here is what I found out... If I switch to parking lights, the DRL turns on, but it is dimmed a lot, it is not even visible from a distance (and the dude kep telling me that it's at full power)...so DRL is wired correctly, only thing I need is the damn auto headlights deactivated :( and I don't want to spend 50+ € on new stalks... Isn't there any other way to deactivate the auto headlights? I am desperate...