Alternator Issues

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: northcoaster

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 60000
Trim Level: Rhythm
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hello – newbie to the C3 forum here

Picked up a low mileage (60 000) 1.4 hdi 8hx as a non runner. The car is fitted with a Siemens 5WS 4011 E-T ECU. I have no history on the car other than it had a flat battery, someone tried a jump start the car, the ECU was subsequently dispatched for repair and repaired. On refitting the ecu the car wouldn’t start.

Using this forum I have managed to get the car running
– charged the existing battery and carried out a reset on the BSI and used the spare key
– car ran bit reluctantly at first then picked up
– car generally starts very quickly (1/2 a turn)
However the C/L does not respond nor will the boot open via the switch, the beep is on the radio. There might be an issue with the rear fog lights yet to fully check it out although the lamp units are getting very rusty around the bottom two lamps.

My main concern is the alternator – it will heat up after 1.5 minutes (no-load)– hot enough so you will not hold your hand on it. There is enough heat generated to discolour the alternator windings. Thoughts anyone ?

My car laptop (an old Dell) is too wee for the lexia software – I am awaiting delivery of a bigger laptop, in the interim I thought I would ask for any guidance

Cheers
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hello northcoaster

I don't see a diesel engine fault, so I am sure this topic will be moved to the correct place soon.
northcoaster wrote:However the C/L does not respond nor will the boot open via the switch, the beep is on the radio.
Central locking can be due to a key battery, a key not paired to the BSI or a key that is out of sync with the BSI.

You will need to check or change the fob battery, Re-pair the fob to the BSI (here) or test with lexia and see what's what.

Radio beeping is a pair of the radio to the BSI, use lexia for this.

Boot switch, check with lexia to see if the BSI can see the boot switch signal, diagnose from there.
northcoaster wrote:There might be an issue with the rear fog lights yet to fully check it out although the lamp units are getting very rusty around the bottom two lamps.
Rust is not common on the rear light clusters but rust will cause electrical problems.
northcoaster wrote:My main concern is the alternator – it will heat up after 1.5 minutes (no-load)– hot enough so you will not hold your hand on it. There is enough heat generated to discolour the alternator windings. Thoughts anyone ?
A failed bearing can make a lot of heat.

I imagine you will have to see if its a mechanical or electrical problem.
northcoaster wrote:My car laptop (an old Dell) is too wee for the lexia software – I am awaiting delivery of a bigger laptop, in the interim I thought I would ask for any guidance
Lexia can run on some very small and old hardware, new laptops don't fare too well with lexia, but are better with Diagbox.
But if you have only a very small hard drive lexia may struggle to install.