Alarm problems

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: georgeb1971

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 70000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi, my wife has a 2003 citroen C3 exclusive 1.6 petrol. The alarm has a habit of going off within a few seconds when the car is locked and alarm armed (not every time but probably every 3rd or 4th time). We can stop it by using the fob and unlocking/locking again but it is frustrating when it's late outside our house. I just wondered if there is a way to permanently disconnect the alarm system? I tried removing the relevant fuse in the glovebox but that doesn't work. Is there another fuse or just some way I can disconnect it for good? Also the car has just short of 70k miles - how quickly would you change the cam belt??
Thanks in advance
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi georgeb1971, welcome to the forum.

Most important things first
Also the car has just short of 70k miles - how quickly would you change the cam belt??
Every 10 years or 80K miles, whichever comes first.
I just wondered if there is a way to permanently disconnect the alarm system?
There is a TEXTON alarm box, quite well hidden in the drivers footwell. It is arrowed in the picture.
citroen c3 alarm box in drivers footwell
citroen c3 alarm box in drivers footwell
Which is the alarm box. You could try disconnecting this to disable the alarm, but I don't know if its going to affect anything else. Its also worth checking its not wet.

It is very well hidden, to help you locate it, in the picture is the steering column rod and the white spring is the clutch return spring that is part of the clutch pedal.

If you want to diagnose which sensor is setting off the alarm, you will need Lexia, the citroen diagnostic tool.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I'd suggest you don't unplug the alarm control box, all sorts of faults will occur when the BSI tries to arm the system. You can remove the alarm option from the BSI if you want it disabled. The alarm takes power from several circuits, some of these control other things so you can't do with the fuses out.

Remember though you need to tell your insurance company if you disable the alarm, they insure your vehicle on the basis that it has a factory fit alarm. If that isn't so its a reason for them not to pay up should you be unfortunate enough to have the car stolen.

There are a few things you can try easily to see if they help. Check that all the doors close properly with no movement on the locks - does the interior light come on if you lean on the doors from inside? Lubricate the bonnet lock, there is an alarm contact inside it, it needs to be secure.

If you want to change any parts blindly, then look at the alarm siren. It has batteries inside, over the years they will deteriorate. Its quite a fiddle to get at (which it should be).

Saying all this, I think Lexia holds the answers, it will tell you if there is a fault and also why the alarm has triggered if there is no fault. It also allows the sensitivity of the interior motion sensor to be reduced, this may help if the sensors are the problem.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: georgeb1971

Mileage: 70000

Thanks for your replies - some good suggestions which I will look into.
My Name: onepound

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2009 (09)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 84000
DPF: Yes
Engine name: DV6 16-valve diesel (92 PS)

Missing Lincs wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2014 3:37 pm You can remove the alarm option from the BSI if you want it disabled.
I wonder how you do this? A option on the dashboard? or some osb2 thing?
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Citroen's scan tool is called LEXIA. You can get Chinese knock-offs from Ebay but they can be problematic to get up and running.