After headlight changed - dipped lights doesnt work.

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: tomasa

Top Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 120000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes

Today i changed driver side headlight because motor was not working and in my country it's mandatory. So i changed it. But now in BOTH headlights dipped lights doesn't work at all! Fuses seems to be all ok. (checked from 6 to 15 in engine bay fuse box). Lights looks like good too, didn't see any blown up signs.
I did a BSI reset, did com 2002 reset - doesnt help.
Now i have working only the lowest power lamp and the strongest power lamp. but not the middle one (i think english calls it dipped light).

What can i do?? i need light! :)
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

(i think english calls it dipped light).
This is the dipped light, its H7 Halogen (don't touch the glass).
https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t134.html

Each dipped (H7) is protected by a fuse - F9 and F10, both 15A in the engine bay fuse box.

They are driven by a relay which is part of the BSM (engine bay fuse box).

i changed driver side headlight because motor was not working and in my country it's mandatory. So i changed it. But now in BOTH headlights dipped lights doesn't work at all!
If you are confident your checks on the fuses are good (test them with a meter on ohms as a visual inspection can be misleading), try disconnecting the new headlight you have fitted (all the wires). If the other side comes on, then the new headlamp unit is faulty of not connected correctly.

The theory is to get the car back to how it was before it stopped working and doing this can pinpoint the fault.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Top Contributor

Yes this the lamp H7.

Why can't i touch the glass? i touched it :)
I was disconnected new headlight all connectors - didn't help.
I checked the fuses by the eye, they looked good, i've seen bad ones in last week like 6pcs so i know how bad one looks, and i somehow doubt that if it looks good it may be bad.

i saw few post in internet about this problem..many of them said they changed the H7 lamps and worked... maybe i have the same problem, but lamps looks good. sad i didn't have tester with me right now to test is there voltage.

Can it be BSI which noticed the new lamp was installed and need lexia to active it, maybe this is how it forces me to go to service and align lamps and then service will turn on something via lexia?
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Why can't i touch the glass? i touched it :)
Any surface contamination, notably the oil from human fingertips, can damage the quartz envelope when it is heated.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halogen_lamp describes this well.

I was disconnected new headlight all connectors - didn't help.
Not so good, sounds like you have added a fault with the change of headlamps :cry: but don't forget to test the H7 lamps, you never know, maybe 2 faulty lamps :oops:

I checked the fuses by the eye, they looked good, i've seen bad ones in last week like 6pcs so i know how bad one looks, and i somehow doubt that if it looks good it may be bad.
Well, that's up to you, but I disagree and stand by my original statement as I have seen this first hand.

sad i didn't have tester with me right now to test is there voltage.
Yes, a very useful tool for checking voltages and the resistance/continuity of lamps, fuses and wires and cheap enough on ebay.

Can it be BSI which noticed the new lamp was installed and need lexia to active it,
No, I don't think you need lexia to replace a headlamp unit. Its an electrical fault.

maybe this is how it forces me to go to service and align lamps and then service will turn on something via lexia?
You can get a lexia clone for yourself and this bypasses the need to go to a dealer, but I haven't seen a setting to add a new headlamp in lexia.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Top Contributor

Thank you for your replays! Today i will try to test everything, i've got new lamp so..will know is there lamps bad or current doesn't flow.

EDIT: well, problem was the same as for 90% of internet submitted cases: bad lamps.

SO conclusion one: french SUCK at electronics. i can bet 100% some crappy wiring involved in burning/damaging lamps.
So many cases in internet. By possibility theory it's almost impossible to get both lamps stop working at the same time. So something in car broke them.