Adding remote central locking, got two plain keys

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Xeon3D

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 160000
Trim Level: Exclusive Plus
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi all.

So, the wife is going to purchase a Citroen C3 1.4 from 2003 from a friend and having had a look at the car, we noticed some things that she will want to fix once she buys it. As for me not being a car guy (more of a computer/home automation guy myself), I'll need your help, if possible.

- The car has two keys. Both of them buttonless. One of the is used for the doors, the other for the ignition. It looks to me like someone broke the door lock before and they replaced it with the lock and a key from another C3. She would like to have central locking buttons on one key at least. Can I do that with an empty transponder + keyfob? Will I need Lexia? Will it have to be done by Citröen? Any idea of the cost?

- On the same page, would it be possible to replace the lock so that the same key does locks and ignition? Would a Citröen dealer be needed, or the only way is swapping ECU + all locks?

- She plans to replace the original radio unit with one by pioneer \ kenwood or the kind. Will I need an adaptor? (I needed one for a Renault Scénic that bit the bucket).

Apart from this, the car is in great condition, apart from a few bits and bobs (hazard lights button scoffed, gear knob loose\broken+duct tape, if you know where I can get both cheaply without being aliexpress would be nice!).

That's all for now... I'll be sure to keep updating and thanks for taking the time to read this.

Marcos.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Xeon3D wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:21 pm - The car has two keys. Both of them buttonless. One of the is used for the doors, the other for the ignition. It looks to me like someone broke the door lock before and they replaced it with the lock and a key from another C3. She would like to have central locking buttons on one key at least. Can I do that with an empty transponder + keyfob? Will I need Lexia? Will it have to be done by Citröen? Any idea of the cost?
Hi

Its a Citroen dealer job if you don't have a virgin remote board and lexia, probably ends up costing more than the car is actually worth.

- On the same page, would it be possible to replace the lock so that the same key does locks and ignition? Would a Citröen dealer be needed, or the only way is swapping ECU + all locks?
You don't need to replace an ECU if you change a lock. The locks are just mechanical.

If the car is that bad, as in the original key fob being missing, it would probably be better to pass it by and find a different C3 that has the right parts, including the key card that should be with the manual, possibly under the passenger seat.

Citroen C3 Audio questions have their own topic here and there is a search function available.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD

Typically the door lock barrel corrodes from the salt on the road. It's not uncommon. You can get cheap replacements from EBay & ETC.

You have a number of options but none are cheap or easy.

1) The central locking fob.
A) A new key from Citroen. Cost is about 110 pound. Comes with the key blade cut but I don't think that includes the cost of coding in the central locking to the car. You will need to provide proof of ownership and it will take a few weeks to arrive.
You can only code in a brand new fob or one "known" to the car. Fobs which have been used in another car will not work.
B) Apparently there is a brand of key/fob called "Golden Horse" that can be coded into the central locking. You will need to find a lock smith who sells this brand.

2) The key and barrel.
A) remove the drivers door lock take it to a locksmith, see if he can re-jig the tumblers to suit the key that fits the ignition lock.
B) Get the ignition barrel, door barrel and blade from a breakers and replace yours.

The car can be secured without the central locking but it's a 8@ll ache! Were the owners doing it "manually" or just leaving it open?

Arfur Dent wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:00 pm
Xeon3D wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:21 pm - The car has two keys. Both of them buttonless. One of the is used for the doors, the other for the ignition. It looks to me like someone broke the door lock before and they replaced it with the lock and a key from another C3. She would like to have central locking buttons on one key at least. Can I do that with an empty transponder + keyfob? Will I need Lexia? Will it have to be done by Citröen? Any idea of the cost?
Hi

Its a Citroen dealer job if you don't have a virgin remote board and lexia, probably ends up costing more than the car is actually worth.
So you're saying (and forgive me as I'm not from an English speaking country) that a key with buttons to operate the central locking and start the engine would be more expensive than the car? C3's must be cheap as h3ll in the UK. Wife paid around 2.5k Eur for it (and it was a deal!).
Arfur Dent wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:00 pm
You don't need to replace an ECU if you change a lock. The locks are just mechanical.

If the car is that bad, as in the original key fob being missing, it would probably be better to pass it by and find a different C3 that has the right parts, including the key card that should be with the manual, possibly under the passenger seat.
Ok, so I guess my question is... can I order a barrel from Citroen that matches the other ones?
Arfur Dent wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:00 pm Citroen C3 Audio questions have their own topic here and there is a search function available.
I'll have a look. Thanks.

Ozvtr wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:05 am Typically the door lock barrel corrodes from the salt on the road. It's not uncommon. You can get cheap replacements from EBay & ETC.

You have a number of options but none are cheap or easy.

1) The central locking fob.
A) A new key from Citroen. Cost is about 110 pound. Comes with the key blade cut but I don't think that includes the cost of coding in the central locking to the car. You will need to provide proof of ownership and it will take a few weeks to arrive.
You can only code in a brand new fob or one "known" to the car. Fobs which have been used in another car will not work.
B) Apparently there is a brand of key/fob called "Golden Horse" that can be coded into the central locking. You will need to find a lock smith who sells this brand.
No Golden Horse sellers around, I guess I'll have to pay Citroen.
Ozvtr wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:05 am 2) The key and barrel.
A) remove the drivers door lock take it to a locksmith, see if he can re-jig the tumblers to suit the key that fits the ignition lock.
B) Get the ignition barrel, door barrel and blade from a breakers and replace yours.
Wouldn't Option B need also work done on ECU or BSI?
Ozvtr wrote: Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:05 am The car can be secured without the central locking but it's a 8@ll ache! Were the owners doing it "manually" or just leaving it open?
Central locking works by turning the drivers key lock with the non-original key. That's how they were doing it.

Guru

Xeon3D wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:08 pm C3's must be cheap as h3ll in the UK. Wife paid around 2.5k Eur for it (and it was a deal!).
A 2003 C3 that has faults in the UK is virtually worthless. The value of the scrap makes it worth something. The cost of repairing them to UK standards make them uneconomical to repair if they have several faults, dealer visit or expensive to fix faults due to the parts costs.

I personally could never see a 2003 Citroen C3 costing 2.5K anything, dollars, pounds or euros.

A car being over 20 years old is a rare thing to see on the UK roads.

I would think that a LHD on the European mainland is worth less than its RHD counterparts because there were so many more LHD versions produced, but that is just my thoughts on how many the French made and where they all went.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Guru

If you are just changing locks then no, you don't need to program the mechanical key or mechanical lock.

This would give you one key for both ignition and drivers door lock.

What it won't do is the remote central locking that you want. This will need a new internal remote board for inside the key and lexia to program it to the car.

If the year of production is a confusion, you are welcome to take a photo of the C3 and add it using these instructions (how to attach pictures)

or post the RPO/Birthday data plate information that can identify the year of production.

Xeon3D wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:08 pm Central locking works by turning the drivers key lock with the non-original key. That's how they were doing it.
That's not a standard arrangement. Typically the drivers door lock is purely mechanical and is not connected to the central locking.
Could this be a left hand drive thing? It's definitely not connected on a right hand drive car!
Was there ever a variant offered without remote central locking and just central locking?

Arfur Dent wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:03 pm I personally could never see a 2003 Citroen C3 costing 2.5K anything, dollars, pounds or euros.
LOL! People here (Aus) have gone mad! A good example of a 2003 C3 at a car yard is asking $5000-6000AUD. That's about 2.5K pound!
The media spouts doom and gloom about car prices and every one thinks they can cash in and retire! Of course they will never sell at that price but it doesn't stop the car yards jacking up the prices!
Unfortunately their intrinsic value is scrap, so, that's where they wind up going.

Arfur Dent wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:03 pm
Xeon3D wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 4:08 pm C3's must be cheap as h3ll in the UK. Wife paid around 2.5k Eur for it (and it was a deal!).
A 2003 C3 that has faults in the UK is virtually worthless. The value of the scrap makes it worth something. The cost of repairing them to UK standards make them uneconomical to repair if they have several, dealer or expensive to fix faults,

I personally could never see a 2003 Citroen C3 costing 2.5K anything, dollars, pounds or euros.

A car being over 20 years old is a rare thing to see on the UK roads.

I would think that a LHD on the European mainland is worth less than its RHD counterparts because there were so many more LHD versions produced, but that is just my thoughts on how many the French made and where they all went.
Well, the car market here (Portugal) is quite different from the UK. As our monthly wage is kinda low (compared even with the cost of living factor included) you see a LOT of 20 year old cars being sold for more then 2K EUR.
Arfur Dent wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 8:14 pm
If you are just changing locks then no, you don't need to program the mechanical key or mechanical lock.

This would give you one key for both ignition and drivers door lock.

What it won't do is the remote central locking that you want. This will need a new internal remote board for inside the key and lexia to program it to the car.
This might be an avenue, depending on cost of locks and key from citroen.
While I'm quite tech savvy, I'd need step by step steps to work with Lexia. Probably the costs of the lexia board + blank chip\key are way lower than what citroen is going to ask me.

And with that said, we just got delivered the car and for being 20 years old, it's still in very good shape overall.

Here's a list of small problems it has:

- central locking button all black (scratched like hell). Where can I buy a replacement?
- A couple of buttons on the right side of the stereo unit are also mostly black.
- It doesn't have the 4 digit pin code.
- Drivers door doesn't lock midway when opening - I'm guessing I just need to swap the hinge that's midway.
- It has the window electric roof, and it works perfectly, but the shade below the glass doesn't stay locked. Has anyone got a picture of the lock part I can get so I can see how it was originally and maybe try to fix it?
- Gear knob needs replacing.
- AC needs recharging.
- Drivers seat doesn't go up and down. The lever on the side is kinda "Stuck".

Any tips or places where I can get stuff or info about these?

Guru

Hi
Any tips or places where I can get stuff or info about these?

Its a one question per topic. Please find the right topic and post each question the the forum for your answers:)