Adding front fog lamps

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: mandwa

Contributor

Hi,

I've replaced the black covers on my 2005 C3 Desire purely because it looks better then the blanked out covers. However i was wondering if or how i could get them to work? I thought the wiring would have been present but an inspection seems to say that it isn't. Is there a way i can get the wiring or any other thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi mandwa,

There is a grey wire which runs from connection numbered '10' on the engine compartment fuse box (16 way green multi connector) to the front fog lights for 12v.

There is also a wire from the ignition switch to the engine compartment fuse box (white wire, numbered 9 on the 16 way grey multi connector)

The front fogs are grounded via the Green/Yellow wires behind the headlight and in the engine compartment.

You will need all those wires with their connectors if you don't have them.

Fuse F6 in the engine compartment fuse box supplies the grey wire '9' via the front fog relay.

You need both the relay and the fuse present.

The computer is involved and arbitrates the fog light switch command and the fog light power relay (on and off).

Your first check would be to see the computer is playing ball and the relay, fuse, white wire from fog switch are ok, by looking for 12v at pin 10 of the green 16 multi connector on the engine bay fuse box. If there is 12v with the ignition on and lights on and front fog light switch on, then that's GOOD, you can proceed to install the grey wire and the green/yellow earths.

If you don't get 12v, then its the computer, if the relay, fuse and white wire are ok.

The other option is to bypass the citroen controls and control system by adding a dashboard switch, relay, fuse and wiring.

Its a simple circuit, you need the lamp connectors (with as much cable as you can get) still attached.

If you would like to see the diagram I can post it here for you to see.

Hope this helps!
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hello from a new site member. I'm also new to Citroen and the C3 so please bear with me!

I was thinking about adding from fogs, and as I understand the requirements of the MOT, if there are fitting they need to work.

I've read through the above which is very helpful and something I can look into, my question is about the operation of the fog light switch.

On the left hand stork there is an inner ring which at the moment switches on the rear foglight. It only has on legend on it that I can see, is this the same for cars that come with front fogs fitted?

The reason I ask, the job would become a whole lot more complex and expensive if changing the light switch/control stork was involved.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

Welcome to the forum Missing Lincs

A simple solution if the stalk (or more likely - the computer) is not set up for front fogs is to NOT use the stalk for the extra lights... aka 'option 2'

'option 2' is a simple circuit (relay, fuse, switch, orange indicator) with a new switch fitted somewhere 'out of the way' on the facia.

For MOT rules, I think you will need a switch that has an orange indicator, or an orange illuminated indicator visible by the driver to indicate the front fogs are on.

e.g.
switch
switch
[/url]
this switch or something similar

The smoothest solution is obviously utilising the existing control to the computer on the stalk, but option 2 is very easy to implement with minimal cost.

If you need a circuit diagram for 'option 2' get back to me.

Indicator and switch combo:
lamp
lamp
[/url]
a nice amber lamp

rocker switch
rocker switch
[/url]
12v rocker switch

Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

I've looked further into the lighting stalk and it does seem that for front fogs the switch is different, it has a second position for front and rear fogs together.

I'm not aware of a requirement for a 'tell tail' indicator on front fogs, I know that the rear fog needs one.

As you suggest C3CAR a simple switch circuit would do the job, my problem is I can't live with 'odd' switches, I need things to look factory fit. It might be worth looking to see if I can get a switch to fit in one of the blank poisitions around the heater controls but if not I think I'll live with blanking plates.

Thanks again for the suggestions.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

I've looked further into the lighting stalk and it does seem that for front fogs the switch is different, it has a second position for front and rear fogs together.
This post is one I replied to a while ago about fog lights citroen-c3-questions/front-and-rear-fog-lights-t88.html which describes how to operate the fog light switch:

There is a sleeve around the left stalk that rotates around the stalk, this is used to switch on/off the fog lights.

Rotate the switch away from you to switch on the front fog lights, it springs back to its home position,
then rotate it again to switch on the rear fog lights, it springs back to its home position,
to switch off the rear fog lights rotate the switch in the opposite direction (towards you), allow it to return home then
rotate the switch in the opposite direction (towards you) again to switch off the front fog lights.
It just seems that a second activation of the switch tell the computer to switch on the other set of fog lights.

I'm not aware of a requirement for a 'tell tail' indicator on front fogs, I know that the rear fog needs one.
You could well be right there, in my defence, it was late :oops:

my problem is I can't live with 'odd' switches, I need things to look factory fit.
I know what you mean!

Thanks again.

I will investigate further. Perhaps the difference in part number of the lighting stalk is just the legend printed onto it for front fog lights.

I think I will look to see if the fog relay under the bonnet is fitted and if not, fit one. If I can get that to work I feel confident that we will shortly have fog lights! :D

Just off to talk to the car ...

Not a lot of progress but I have established that front foglights can be 'enabled' as an option in the cars settings.

Next job is to check for wiring. I can't find any reference to a separate harness at the front of the car for foglights and there don't appear to be any alternatives on the engine compartment harness ie with/without auxiliary lights, so unless the wiring is only included on specific engine harnesses its beginning to sound more hopeful. :)

Got two front fogs plus harness and instructions. Software is enabled ready to go. Just need a bit of time to do the install.

It turns out that the different part number on the stalk doesn't matter, the 'add on kit' has a sticker to go on the stalk to update the legend, but other than that, they are the same.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000

Missing Lincs wrote:Got two front fogs plus harness and instructions. Software is enabled ready to go.
Thanks for the update, its good that it came as a kit, from Citroen I presume?

Good luck with the install.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)