ABS Sensor fault

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: Adriaan

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 169997
Trim Level: SX
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi there

Hope you can help me, I need all the help I can get on my little Citroen c3 16V petrol 2003 model. my cars abs pump packed up.
it started leaking break fluid from the black module box and it gave me the abs light on the dash.
I was told that the abs cannot be fixed and have to be replaced. i got a quote from Citroen South Africa, and the price the gave me was more than what the cars is worth. the amount the was R30 000.00, if I convert it to pounds: £ 1480,97.
I recently got a second hand one that came of a citroen c5, now i want to know will it work? and do i have to program it to my car ? both are mk60 units.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi, yes. I don't see why it would work if it was the same unit. Preferably pick parts from the same year. The ABS pump can't easily be repaired at home and a replacement is the answer.

The ABS pump and it's ECU doesn't need programming but..

You will need to still connect the car to a computer for lexia communication because only lexia can bleed the air from the ABS pump.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

thank you for your help, so what you say is i need to get someone that can connect with the ecu just to basicaly set parrameters on the abs pump and bleed the air out of it.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Adriaan wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:37 pm thank you for your help, so what you say is i need to get someone that can connect with the ecu just to basicaly set parrameters on the abs pump and bleed the air out of it.
Yes :)
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

one last thing, is it a good sign when the abs unit is plugged in and you switch the ignition on, then from the abs unit you can hear a relay clicking noise , it clicks twice and then its quiet. sofar thank you for all the advice you gave me. I (all the way from South Africa) appreciate it allot.
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

I don't mean to sound rude but all you need to worry about is that the ABS light comes on when you start the car, then goes off and stays off after a few seconds. Without a LEXIA there is not much else to tell you what the system is doing.
Anything else it may or may not appear to do otherwise, is not important.
The long answer is: I don't think too many people connect and disconnect their ABS ECU's that often to give you an answer...but I could be wrong.

Hi there, i have a question about my c3, i have changed the complete abs pump and got a technician otit to come and reset my cars ecu and abs module,but to no luck, when he plugs his machine in to connect with the ecu, he gets a fault on the ecu and the bsi. His machine pics up the abs but he cannot acces it. And also the ecu and bsi gives him an error that reads out as a dead short to the body, but no one has worked on the wires of the car. We also dont get spark from coil pack. Im down a couple thousand Rand with this car and i need it fixed asap. Is there any help out there.
My Name: cvloenen

Experienced Member
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 155000
Trim Level: VTR+

Adriaan wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:52 pm Hi there, i have a question about my c3, i have changed the complete abs pump and got a technician otit to come and reset my cars ecu and abs module,but to no luck, when he plugs his machine in to connect with the ecu, he gets a fault on the ecu and the bsi. His machine pics up the abs but he cannot acces it. And also the ecu and bsi gives him an error that reads out as a dead short to the body, but no one has worked on the wires of the car. We also dont get spark from coil pack. Im down a couple thousand Rand with this car and i need it fixed asap. Is there any help out there.
Hi Adriaan,
considering all you have had done so far I would suspect a wiring fault and not a component. I would forget about plugging in diagnostics, and get an electrician to go over the wiring manually, I wouldnt recommend a dealership cause it will likely cost hundreds & hundreds and much more than the cars worth. Could be a long process and likely to take several hrs to be thorough.