Abs light and pump sensor fault

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: samuelodog

Hi All,

My diesel 2005 C3 has an ABS warning light on.

Garage says ABS system is fine and working, its an electrical fault in the pump. Unfortunately the light will cause an MOT failure.

they have quoted £1500 to replace whole pump/ecu unit.

I am looking for alternatives as car is only work about £1000 at the mo.

Question:

How do I find out the EXACT PART NUMBER so I can source a cheaper replacement part?

I ran the plate part search but I get different results.

Any other ideas?

Can I be sure it's the pump?

THANKS!

Sam
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

samuelodog wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:15 am they have quoted £1500 to replace whole pump/ecu unit.

I am looking for alternatives as car is only work about £1000 at the mo.
Hi samuelodog

An alternative would be to have your existing unit repaired, assuming it can be repaired. The ABS unit is quite well known and does have its usual faults. You can get an idea of the repair time/cost from BBA reman.

The other alternative is a second hand/pre-owned unit from a similar year to your C3 (although the same unit is used on many different cars). Then if you fit it yourself it will be even cheaper. You will need to include the cost of a lexia system (here) to bleed the ABS system after installing it.
samuelodog wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:15 am Question:

How do I find out the EXACT PART NUMBER so I can source a cheaper replacement part?
PM or post your VIN and I will look it up for you :)
samuelodog wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:15 am Can I be sure it's the pump?
If you don't trust the garage that did the diagnosis, you will need to either get someone you trust to do the diagnosis or do it yourself.

The Citroen C3 ABS pump and ECU
The Citroen C3 ABS pump and ECU
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

I pm'd you. Many thanks

Guru

samuelodog wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:23 pm I pm'd you. Many thanks
That VIN comes back as

TEVES MK70 ABS system

so This MK70 exchange unit is what you need for parts.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: ayhan4ik

Contributor
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: SX
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Could you please also check what is the exact fault code, that lead the garage to diagnose faulty pump? And did they checked all electrical circuits of the pump? It's unlikely to have failed pump. Normally there is a short circuit somewhere that is causing non-functional pump. It's worth checking. You can do it even by yourself. Remove pump connector and start checking the wiring. Then the ones to abs sensors on the wheels. And then the wiring to ECU.

the code given was C1380

I doubt they checked all the sensors.

thanks

Could a wheel sensor give a C1380 fault? The mechanic said he thinks something is shorting the system, but the mechanics of the pump were working fine.

Guru

C1380 - recirculation pump / pump motor internal fault

Not a wheel sensor fault the solution is to have a new pump/ECU fitted or a rebuild of your existing abs pump/ECU unit

It is quite a common fault for the teves mk70 units.

thanks.

I looked at the link you sent me for the unit, when I entered my car's details to check compatability, it said it was incompatible?

Thanks

Sam

Guru

samuelodog wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:34 am thanks.

I looked at the link you sent me for the unit, when I entered my car's details to check compatability, it said it was incompatible?

Thanks

Sam
Message the ebay seller with your VIN and REG and ask if it is compatible. The ebay compatibility system is often incomplete.