About To Change wheel Bearing

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: the_big_1

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi Guys,

My freinds 1.4L Petrol C3 near side wheel bearing is on its way out, the tell tail hum.
I plan on changeing it this weekend.
Anyone know what the tourque is for the hub nut?

Also, anything to look out for, tips etc?

Cheers!
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi the_big_1
the_big_1 wrote:Anyone know what the tourque is for the hub nut?
Front hub nut is 245Nm (181 lbf ft).
the_big_1 wrote:Also, anything to look out for, tips etc?
Avoid cheapo bearings. Better to spend more and get a good quality one. Don't damage the bearing on the way in ;)

Pick the right bearing, try euro car parts to identify the correct one.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Cheers for that. Always get the to parts.
Any tips to get the bearong out / in or simple bush driver out, easy press in?

Guru

the_big_1 wrote:Any tips to get the bearong out / in or simple bush driver out, easy press in?
Have a look at https://citroenc3owners.com/diesel-citro ... -t512.html for the run down on how bill sutton managed to change his wheel bearing :) You may find after removing the circlip then you need to use a wheel bearing removal tool on it.

Change wheel bearing on a Citroen C3
Change wheel bearing on a Citroen C3
click here.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

I have done the bearing but now the ABS light is on.
I never saw anywhere that th ABS sensor to pick up off. No teeth on anything ???
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Recently changed a front bearing. The only way to get the bearing out was to remove the ABS sensor which was a &^%* of a job. Could be you've damaged the sensor. If you have diagnostics or know someone with the kit, you can find out very quickly if it is the sensor.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Guru

the_big_1 wrote:I never saw anywhere that th ABS sensor to pick up off. No teeth on anything ???
There are no teeth or anything you can for the ABS signal picked up by the sensor because its part of the actual wheel bearing.

There are 2 distinct wheel bearings fitted to the C3. Ones with the abs pulse generator and those without.

For cars with ABS, you need to fit the correct bearing, and fit it the right way around for the ABS to function.

Euro Car Parts should have identified 'With ABS' or 'Without ABS' on their website during bearing selection and the bearing information leaflet should explain the fitting.

To test for the correct fitting of the wheel bearing for ABS cars it is suggested a paper clip can be used which is magnetically attracted to the side of the bearing that has the ABS pulse generator magnets. There are other, simple tools to help identify the correct side, like this one:
ABS Wheel bearing
ABS Wheel bearing
The lower image identifies a magnetic ABS pulse generator ring inside the bearing.

SKF say
https://www.skf.com/binary/79-61215/457102.pdf wrote:It is vital that the bearing is mounted with the correct side face, the one containing the magnetic impulse wheel, towards the sensor. There is no visual difference from an ordinary seal.

The handling of such an HBU1 is also very important for the ABS function. It has to be handled with care and the magnetized seal should not be exposed to other magnetic objects or subjected to hits and bumps. This might affect the ABS function.
An HBU1 is an integrated impulse wheel in the bearing seal. An elastomeric material with magnetic particles is applied directly to the seal flinger, which then functions as an impulse wheel.

Contributor

Hi,

Yes I got the bearing for ABS, made sure of that.
One side of bearing was all metal, other plastic etc, I put the metal side away from sensor, plastic to sensor.
But I did have to knock out the sensor to get it out and hammer it in, not mega hard etc. guess could be sensor damaged??

Contributor

Is there a way to test the ABS sensor? A resistance value etc?

Guru

the_big_1 wrote:Is there a way to test the ABS sensor? A resistance value etc?
You could try measuring the resistance of a known, good working one (from the other wheel) and try the same on the suspect one.

An obvious problem would be a very different value, like a short or open circuit if the known good one doesn't show this.

I have not metered an ABS sensor on the C3, but it sounds possible.

Lexia can diagnose ABS problems https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t655.html