2012 Steering really stiff from new

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: grubbymitts

Hi,

I have a 2012 C3 Black with less than 2K on the mileage. I just pulled off from the car park space and the car was going forward but I had to yank the steering wheel to get it to turn. I have noticed that this slightly happened once before a couple of months ago. Is this a power steering issue? It was raining terribly when I was pulling off, so I'm wondering if it just couldn't get a grip or something as no fault light showed up.

If it is a power steering issue I'll have to get it looked at ASAP I suppose and hope the damn thing doesn't kill me beforehand.

Also, what's this I read about turning the key on and off three times in 10 seconds is supposed to fix it?

Cheers for your advice.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi grubbymitts,
I just pulled off from the car park space and the car was going forward but I had to yank the steering wheel to get it to turn. I have noticed that this slightly happened once before a couple of months ago. Is this a power steering issue?
I have had the same issue with an early version of the C3. The power steering just doesn't work with the steering getting very heavy. Its only happened after starting the car, and not during a run (thankfully).

The steering rack on the Citroen C3 is has power assistance provided by an electric motor, rather than a pump and red fluid. I assume that there has been a computer glitch and the steering ECU doesn't engage the electric motor for some reason. Switching off the ignition and starting again has cleared the problem. I have not looked further for fault codes.
My Name: omarsmith

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 134000
Trim Level: Touch
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi too grubbymitts, sounds like this is a continuing issue on the C3 which they haven't fixed on the latest model (yay :roll: ) - I have a 2002 C3, and very occasionally when I am manoeuvring in a car park the power steering will just cut out leaving me in the similar position of hauling the wheel round like it weighs a ton.

On one occasion, restarting the car did not help at first, and it only fixed itself after I left the car off for ten minutes before restarting. With C3owner52's knowledge that the power steering is motorised and not hydraulic, one must simply assume that if the steering is too heavy (for example when stationary) it will just cut out to prevent damage to the motor or something - though fortunately this has also never happened to me whilst driving!