2010 Replace rear light cluster

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: robbx250

Hi, someone's broken my o/s rear light cluster while the car was in a carpark. Surprise surprise there was no note left! I've now got the replacement part - £130! - but don't know how to fit it. It's the full cluster rather than just the lens cover.

Car is the current model (2010) C3.

Anyone got any instructions or able to point me in the direction of any video's - can't see anything on the net for this model.

Be great if anyone out there can help.

Cheers
Rob
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi Rob,

I don't know how similar the New 2010 is to the previous version for the rear light fixing, but

The old version wasn't as difficult as it looked.

There is a small access flap in the boot, behind the light unit which pops off revealing a nut. Unscrew the nut with a socket.
From the outside of the car there is a hidden cover, near the top of the light unit, remove this.

Some pictures here for the older version.

It looks pretty straight forward from there. Hopefully citroen have passed the ease of removal onto the new models.

Good Luck!
My Name: robbx250

Thanks, yes found it late yesterday and was very easy in the end - just access it via the flap in the boot and un-screw the one nut and the whole unit drops out. This is also how you replace the bulbs.

Cheers
My Name: dunxmac

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2012 (62)
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 29000
Trim Level: Vibe
Gearbox: Automatic PRND

Hi, I ordered a rear light outer shell from Germany. It is almost exactly the same as the broken original, but a locating pin is set a few mm to the right of the same locating pin on the original, which prevents the inner bulb cluster being clipped in to the outer shell. I can see no reason for this. The original does say 'UK' on it, but I can see no practical difference. I am planning to drill a new hole in the bulb cluster to accept this offset pin. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Every other dimension seems identical and will fit.

Guru

dunxmac wrote:Hi, I ordered a rear light outer shell from Germany. It is almost exactly the same as the broken original, but a locating pin is set a few mm to the right of the same locating pin on the original, which prevents the inner bulb cluster being clipped in to the outer shell. I can see no reason for this. The original does say 'UK' on it, but I can see no practical difference. I am planning to drill a new hole in the bulb cluster to accept this offset pin. Is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Every other dimension seems identical and will fit.
If everything else fits, like the plug - can you try the plug and operation without drilling the hole? then this seems like the quickest way forward. I don't see any problems with that if it all works ok.
My Name: dunxmac

Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2012 (62)
Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 29000
Trim Level: Vibe
Gearbox: Automatic PRND

Hi,

No, the offset locating pin prevents the light cluster from snapping into place in the outer shell. The only options seem to be to cut the pin, or drill a new hole on the light cluster to accept the offset pin. In fact, I have now done this, and the whole thing has snapped back together nicely, and the unit has fitted onto the car. The only minor difference I have detected between the old and new units is that the reflector diffusion pattern is different for the reverse light. I wonder if this is to do with the reverse light being on the opposite side of the car from European models. The light still works and is visible - I can't see any great risk in having a reverse light that is diffused in a slightly different way! Thanks for comments.

Guru

dunxmac wrote:No, the offset locating pin prevents the light cluster from snapping into place in the outer shell. The only options seem to be to cut the pin, or drill a new hole on the light cluster to accept the offset pin. In fact, I have now done this, and the whole thing has snapped back together nicely, and the unit has fitted onto the car. The only minor difference I have detected between the old and new units is that the reflector diffusion pattern is different for the reverse light. I wonder if this is to do with the reverse light being on the opposite side of the car from European models. The light still works and is visible - I can't see any great risk in having a reverse light that is diffused in a slightly different way! Thanks for comments.
Thanks for letting us know your modification did the trick. I don't think reversing light is going to give you any trouble on the MOT due to angle or the reflector. Well done taking the plunge and making the mod :)