2003 Loose Gear Selector Counter Balance

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: leon11

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 74000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Hi there. Around 6-months I bought myself a Citroen C3 Desire (03') plate from a family friend. It has been a good runner for months until around a week ago a loud banging noise was coming from under the car. At the same time the gears all felt very loose so not knowing much about cars I assumed it was the clutch, gearbox or possibly the exhaust.

After taking into a untested garage (near to where I work) they pulled the car up on the ramp and replaced the rusty backbox and assumed this would fix the problem. After laying out £85 this did nothing to fix the problem. Again I took it back and this time they confirmed my exhaust was fine and actually there was a loose 'gear counter-balance' banging around.

I have googled this part but cant find anything like the one I have in my hand now that they took off the car.
c3.JPG
The garage assured me that the car would be fine without it but In all honesty I don't trust them with the exhaust mishap. I just wanted a second opinion. Can anyone provide any info on what this part is and whether it's actually needed on the car. Thanks. Leon
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi leon11

this link is about that counter weight on the C3 gearbox

https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t688.html

Thanks for the detailed picture!
My Name: pugwashuk

Engine Size: 1.4
Mileage: 106000
Trim Level: Touch
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi this is exactly the same part I have had taken off today. It was hanging loose and causing one heck of a noise.

What happened was, last night trying to select a gear it got stuck and would not select reverse, the gear lever was at an odd angle, after manipulating the gears it finally selected 2nd with a clunk (not whilst driving and no engine running), then the gear lever returned to it's normal position and all gears were selectable as normal.

Went for a drive and could not believe the noise coming from under the car... went to a very friendly F1 auto center, they put it up on the ramp and removed the offending part, same as pictured, and now everything is fine.....

they said it's a dealer only part and if i get one they will refit the new part. (did not charge me for the removal by the way)...

only trouble is I can't find any info or part number that is recognized by anyone on the net, so will visit citrein dealer tomorrow and ask them what the hell it's for as everything is fine now?

By the way I bought an 03 1.4 sx petrol with 106k miles, (has full stamped serviced, cam belt/waterpump just changed) for my daughter and also noted that the passenger window does not come down/up in one movement? is it supposed to be auto like the drivers side, which works fine, I have noticed the switch says it's (A) auto but it only comes down about 4 cm each time so you have to repeatedly press the button to get it down full or back up fully?

Thanks
Bob (new to C3)
My Name: nikroc

Experienced Member
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 93000
Trim Level: Touch

Hi..when I bought my daughters c3 car I took the counterbalance weight off on advice from this forum...made no difference to the gearchange at all.