1.1 Desire has ABS Fault

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
Forum rules
One question per topic.
No Engine questions
Think: Manual Gearbox, Seats, Bodywork, Lighting, Interior, A/C, Heater, Wheels, Steering, Brakes, Tyres and Suspension
My Name: tony1964

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2005 (05)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 71000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No

Have a problem with my C3, I had the front n/s wheel bearing changed and since then I have had the ABS light on.
I have run Lexia on it and it says a permanent fault, I have checked the wiring and all appears ok, including a new sensor.
When running the diagnostics it would appear that it couldn't read the ABS ecu. As I have limited knowledge of using Lexia
I'm not sure exactly it should be doing.
One thing I did see is that the offending side shows a wheel speed of 655kph in the parameters.
Not sure if this means anything but when the engine is started and the ABS comes on it beeps three times.
Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Welcome to the C3 owners forum tony1964,
Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
I would go straight back to the wheel that had the new bearing.

The ABS wiring has been damaged, maybe you can't see it, or maybe its the ABS sensor or ABS ring, but concentrate in that front n/s wheel.

The ABS sensor and wiring would have been disturbed while the wheel bearing is being replaced and it is no coincidence that you now have an ABS fault on lexia showing:
that the offending side shows a wheel speed of 655kph in the parameters.
A sure sign of some damaged sensor/wiring

You can see the ABS Sensor for your C3 from Euro Car Parts (here) which would be a good guess. If its not that, check the wiring further up the circuit.

Have a look at how much wiring get disturbed when work is done on the hub.
ABS Sensor wiring on the front wheel of a Citroen C3
ABS Sensor wiring on the front wheel of a Citroen C3
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: jbz2079

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 75000
DPF: Yes
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

Would simply unplugging the ABS sensor with the battery still connected Flag up a fault on the ABS.
Just saying cause I know someone brought their Peugeot 307 into a garage I frequent to have the ABS reset after changng a wheel bearing.
The guy who runs the place said, they never learn, all the have to do is disconnect the battery and leave it disconected till everything is finnished and re-connected and the ECU won't know the sensor has been disconnected.

He showed me on the Lexia the fault code and it even logged the exact time the plug was removed, causing the fault to be logged.
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Mileage: 100000
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Would simply unplugging the ABS sensor with the battery still connected Flag up a fault on the ABS.
I imagine it would, it does with other sensors on the C3, so I don't see any reason why the ABS sensors are not monitored too.

Anyone want to give it a go to confirm? :lol:
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: jbz2079

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.6
Mileage: 75000
DPF: Yes
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

Anyone want to give it a go to confirm?

No thanks, apparently C3's flash up enough faults without inducing them.
My 1.4Hdi came up with Emmission Control Fault a few times one day then decided it didn't, never seen it since either.
But I'll bet it's still logged in there somewhere!

It's only when you see what is monitered and read by the car through Lexia that you begin to realize that the simple small car is no longer just that.
My Name: tony1964

Year: 2005 (05)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 71000
Trim Level: Desire

Thanks for your replies to my question, I will check the wiring further up and rule that out for good.
Then I will have to think about sourcing a recon ABS ECU, more expense.
One thing though I took out the sensor from the good side and that never caused a problem?
Any more ideas would be a get help, especially how to use the Lexia programme.