-04 blower fan not working

Questions not related to the fuel type, like Manual Gearbox, Body Work, Lights, Interior trim and Seats, Steering, Brakes, Beeping, Wheels and Tyres to be asked in this topic only.

Audio has its own section - see further down the page.

Please provide as much information as you think may be relevant like recent work on the car and you can attach photographs directly to your topic using the form below the text box.
My Name:
Jonister

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi!
I have this problem with my 2004 c3 where the blower fan doesn't work at all, but on the panel where you control the fan the back window heater still works and if the fan speed is set to 0, you can turn the ac on but if you change the speed to any other than 0 the ac goes off or doesn't go on.
I have tried changing the fan itself, the fuse box in the engine compartment (tested it and came to the conclution that the fuse doesnt get power), I have also changed the resistor in the foot compartment (I don't know what it is in English :D ) of the front passenger (I have a LHD) and even the control panel but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?
My Name:
C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Mileage: 79984
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Jonister wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:05 am Hi!
I have this problem with my 2004 c3 where the blower fan doesn't work at all, but on the panel where you control the fan the back window heater still works and if the fan speed is set to 0, you can turn the ac on but if you change the speed to any other than 0 the ac goes off or doesn't go on.
I have tried changing the fan itself, the fuse box in the engine compartment (tested it and came to the conclution that the fuse doesnt get power), I have also changed the resistor in the foot compartment (I don't know what it is in English :D ) of the front passenger (I have a LHD) and even the control panel but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Hi

Do you have Climate Control - the digital aircon control panel with the orange screen?
Citroen C3 Climate Control Panel
Citroen C3 Climate Control Panel
citroen_c3_climate_control.webp (25.71 KiB) Viewed 145 times

or

the basic air con with no screen and just buttons on the control panel?
My Name:
Jonister

I have the ”manual” panel so no screen, just buttons and knobs.
My Name:
C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Jonister wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:05 am Hi!
Hi

Fuse box in the engine bay F8 (20A) is for the blower motor.

If you don't get a voltage reading to earth on both sides of that F8 fuse in the BSM, your blower won't work.

Check each side of that fuse for a voltage to the battery negative terminal and let us know what you get.

You can check the meter is working by measuring the battery voltage.

Also see this topic after getting those volt readings from the BSM F8 fuse.
My favourite suppliers for our >> Citroen C3 parts and servicing:
  • (Affiliate links to the companies I use to maintain my Citroen C3)
My Name:
Jonister

Thanks for answers! So as I believe I already have mentioned that the whole bsm fuse box has been changed so there should now be power going into the f18 fuse (not f8, it’s for the fuel injection system and some other) but I can check. Any other suggestions what the problem could be?
My Name:
C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Citroen C3 2004 manual A/C petrol engine blower circuit diagram
Citroen C3 2004 manual A/C petrol engine blower circuit diagram

This is the diagram I have for an early C3 (2004-2005) with a petrol engine and basic air conditioning. The power (BSM) for each of the fuel and A/C options is the same.

F8 is supplied by the battery, so you should get 12v to earth on the F8 n the BSM, no matter what.

If you don't get 12v on F8 BSI, you need to fault find back to the battery, or just link from the battery to the fuse to see what you get.
My favourite suppliers for our >> Citroen C3 parts and servicing:
  • (Affiliate links to the companies I use to maintain my Citroen C3)
My Name:
Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD

Jonister wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:47 pm Any other suggestions what the problem could be?

Most of the connectors in the fan circuit are subjected to large amounts of current and can melt/distort.

Check the metal contacts of the connectors in the circuit for burning, melting or distortion. Check the connector on the back of the control panel, the fan motor connector and the resistor connector for melted plastic.