Sensodrive not driving :(

If you have Automatic gearbox problems or issues that would only affect an Auto, please ask here.

Please provide as much information as possible including photos you have taken and uploaded directly to the topic.
Forum rules
One question per topic about an Auto or semi-auto gearbox can be posted in this section
No engine questions
Think: Auto not changing up or down, snowflake/sport flashing, flappy paddles, actuator fault and sensodrive not changing gear.
My Name: deano76

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 76000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: SensoDrive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi all! New to the site and already looking for help! Sorry bout that. Well, I have a c3 1.6 sensodrive that won't go anywhere at the mo and am looking for some advice or a kind member around the Coventry area with lexia.

Basically, car won't start, won't engage gear just has '-' and auto displayed. AA man bypassed starter, wire from starter to battery and car starts! But no movement. I have followed the gearbox reset procedure I have found on here to no avail. There isn't any clunking or sound of movement from the gearbox or actuators when I do the reset.

Has been suggested to change brake pedal switch? Although again, on here it indicates 2 switches but mine only has 1! Confused. Brake lights come on when pedal depressed. On carrying out the reset it actually started the snowflake flashing! Resetting again stops it but still no movement clunks from actuators.

Other suggestgion I had was to change the double relay under the bonnet (relating to abs?) But there's no abs light coming on?

Sensibly I should get it diagnosed but I really can't afford to spend big money on it. I can see senso repairs can be prohibitively expensive! I don't think the cars worth 4 figure repairs! Hoping a kindly member locally with the knowledge and lexia might help me out? Happy to pay a fee ....... :-)
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Hi deano76
deano76 wrote:Has been suggested to change brake pedal switch?
This was going to be my first suggestion for a simple check/test. Look in the passenger footwell of a RHD car for the extra brake switch.

https://citroenc3owners.com/c3-automatic ... -t574.html
deano76 wrote:Brake lights come on when pedal depressed.
The other brake switch.
deano76 wrote:On carrying out the reset it actually started the snowflake flashing!
Indicates a fault present and stored. A job for lexia/diagbox - ebay, cheaper than dealer prices for a clone. Fault codes can help identify the problem area and even help you decide if its worth repairing.
deano76 wrote:Other suggestgion I had was to change the double relay under the bonnet (relating to abs?) But there's no abs light coming on?
You can't change the relay without changing the whole BSM and I wouldn't change expensive parts on a whim, unless you have a spare car to swap parts to and from.
deano76 wrote:Sensibly I should get it diagnosed but I really can't afford to spend big money on it.
Cheapest option is to buy your own lexia if there is not one near you willing to lend it out. It is a worth while investment and has a resale value should you move away from Citroen/Peugeot.
deano76 wrote: I can see senso repairs can be prohibitively expensive!
We have some guides to follow for the electro valves if you want to get your hands dirty, so the cost and be reduced by the labour charge if you have some free time and the willingness to try.
deano76 wrote: I don't think the cars worth 4 figure repairs!
Absolutely true. You need the diagnosis from possibly several code reads to go further if the brake pedal switch works out to be ok.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Thank you for that. I will look when I get back home tonight. Are both brake switches next to each other? Where would I get the missing one from if it is missing or is it Citroen only part? :(

Guru

deano76 wrote:Thank you for that. I will look when I get back home tonight. Are both brake switches next to each other? Where would I get the missing one from if it is missing or is it Citroen only part? :(

14 and 12 in the picture are the 2 switches.

If you have one missing, then I don't think your car is supposed to have one, some models do, some don't. If you only have one then you will need to diagnose with lexia. You can pick the switches up on ebay - HERE.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Contributor

Yep. Only one switch. Brake lights go on and off when switch is activated. That was good, just found my lights out on the passenger side!

Contributor

Ok. Just been out again. Turn ignition on, turn off auto button, hold foot on brake pedal. I can hear a clunking from gear selector actuator but can't hear/see any movement from clutch actuator at the front by the rad. Is this me just clutching at straws? Oh and there's no snowflake appearing either

Contributor

Just a thought, as it looks a bit damp around the gearbox, would low gearbox fluid level contribute to this problem?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

deano76 wrote:Just a thought, as it looks a bit damp around the gearbox, would low gearbox fluid level contribute to this problem?
Not with the sensodrive as its just a standard manual gearbox with computer controlled clutch and gear selector.

You should do some computer diagnostics with a Diagbox or Lexia system. There is a topic that explains a little about the Lexia system here https://citroenc3owners.com/citroen-c3-t ... -t655.html

Contributor

Right. Ordered lexia 3 off eBay, should be here Fri I hope! Just gotta find a laptop with xp now! Lol! I know you should never carry out with a gut reaction, but my thought is knackered clutch and clutch actuator. Would this prevent car from starting though?

Guru

deano76 wrote:Right. Ordered lexia 3 off eBay, should be here Fri I hope! Just gotta find a laptop with xp now! Lol!
Later model cars (post 2009) or Laptops/PCs running Windows 7 will need a later version of the hardware and software, an updated version called 'diagbox'.
deano76 wrote:I know you should never carry out with a gut reaction, but my thought is knackered clutch and clutch actuator. Would this prevent car from starting though?
Not that I am aware of. Other C3s with bad clutch actuators do start and run. The clutch and gearbox is not needed to start an engine.