exchange Gearboxes

If you have Automatic gearbox problems or issues that would only affect an Auto, please ask here.

Please provide as much information as possible including photos you have taken and uploaded directly to the topic.
Forum rules
One question per topic about an Auto or semi-auto gearbox can be posted in this section
No engine questions
Think: Auto not changing up or down, snowflake/sport flashing, flappy paddles, actuator fault and sensodrive not changing gear.
My Name: Baldseas-54

Contributor
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2006 (06)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 141200
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD

Hello people, just a simple question please, C3 2006 AL4 gearbox can it be replaced with an A5 and if so what
modifications, if any would be needed? if this out of the question what other year models will fit? Thanks in advance ..
Great Site Mate. Rick M.
My Name: Ozvtr

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Hi Rick and welcome to the forum.

I don't know what you mean by an 'A5' auto, so I cant say.

If that auto was never an option on the TU5 engine I doubt it would be an economical proposition. While it might be physically compatible, the electronics would be a nightmare to sort out.
Either way, I don't think there is anyone here who would have the knowledge to advise.
A good automatic service center might be able to give you options for replacing the AL4 auto?
I have a C2 with the sensodrive system and a C3 with the AL4 and in my personal opinion the sensodrive is superior. HOWEVER the sensodrive has both the advantages of an auto box and manual box AND the disadvantages of BOTH!! In fact I believe the 3 speed auto in my 1984 Ford Meteor (Mazda 323) performs better than the AL4!!! So I know why you would want to change the AL4.
The Citroen C2 is nearly an identical platform but marketed for a more 'aggressive' (?) driver and those owners are more into modifications. It's only an idea but you might see if the C2 owners have tried anything like that? However as a C2 owner I cant say I've heard anything like that.
Also, the TU5JP4 engine in your car is used by Peugeot, so there is another avenue to explore.
Sorry that I couldn't help you more.

Contributor

Thank you so much for your reply .. I'm having issues with the AL4 and I've purchased the latest version Lexia 3
2000 etc.(from England) just awaiting it's arrival, and if this doesn't solve my problems I was looking at a replacement gearbox and here (in Aust.) they advertise Citroen A5 Gearboxes .. hence the question,
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/17473998379 ... 4902.l9144
Once again I thank you, I replaced the the two Electo valves in the hydraulic block as per the Clubs help but my problems seem to be ECU or something more sinister.
Cheers Baldseas.
My Name: Ozvtr

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Ah! It's a later model gearbox, 2011-2013. To my knowledge the later model engines are different, So I assume the gearboxes too, but that's the limit of my knowledge.

Yes, the typical fix is to replace the electro valves. I replaced the valves on my first C3 and that fixed it. However a member here replaced his valve with a brand new FAULTY valve! Obtained a genuine one and that fixed it! The pressure transducer is also a possible suspect. I have seen all sorts of 'snake oil' remedies mentioned on the 'net and I would take them with a grain of salt. However if something is worn inside the transmission, well, rebuild or replace!

I don't think there is much you can do with the LEXIA. You can't update any of the software 'off line'. Of course the LEXIA is invaluable and you wont regret getting it. You can do actuator tests on the valves but that only tells you if they are working at all not if they are working properly. Having said that, live data might tell you a bit more about what's going on.

Contributor

Thanks so much .. and here's hoping. .cheers