automatic, intermittent service - gearbox fault.

If you have Automatic gearbox problems or issues that would only affect an Auto, please ask here.

Please provide as much information as possible including photos you have taken and uploaded directly to the topic.
Forum rules
One question per topic about an Auto or semi-auto gearbox can be posted in this section
No engine questions
Think: Auto not changing up or down, snowflake/sport flashing, flappy paddles, actuator fault and sensodrive not changing gear.
My Name: clairebal36

Contributor
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 17000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: SensoDrive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Help!!!

I recently bought a Citroen C3 automatic car, was owned by a disabled lady so hasn't done many miles.

Its 11 plate and only done 16000 miles bargain I thought!!! Then one month after owning it the gearbox has seemed to play up, yesterday it seemed to loose all power and creep forward when moving from stationary on 2 occasions then seemingly fly into gear with a lurch, then this morning I started the engine put it into automatic mode and it went into first engine revved and selected first gear but would not move. It then displayed service - gearbox fault. I put it back into neutral then automatic mode then it went fine.

My question is with this many miles would the gearbox have problems? What sort of cost am I looking it and what could be the problem? Im afraid ive bought a banger!!

Any advice kindly appreciated
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

My question is with this many miles would the gearbox have problems? What sort of cost am I looking it and what could be the problem? Im afraid ive bought a banger!
Hi

Expensive, of you need to take it to a dealer, it may be better to trade it in.

How do you know how many miles or has, is there documentation to prove the miles? Did you get a HPI type check?

Did you give it a full test drive?

Why was the seller getting rid of it? Maybe they found the cost of repairs is expensive?

You could try draining the auto oil. The colour can tell you the state of the internal components and fresh auto fluid may help, but it may not.

Contributor

Hi

I bought it at the ladies house, she was that disabled she could no longer walk so couldn't use car.

I did take the car for a test drive and it drove fine. She had all the documents to prove ownership and mileage collated to MOT certificates.

I really need a car so don't want to trade it in.

Not sure how much it would be to change to the oil, as I am not good with mechanics.

Thanks

Guru

clairebal36 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:52 pm Hi

I really need a car so don't want to trade it in.
Trade it in for a different car. So you still keep one car, just not the one that doesn't work properly.

Not sure how much it would be to change to the oil, as I am not good with mechanics
Phone your local garage that you trust and your local Citroen dealer. Get a price for them to change the auto gearbox oil. Ask to see a sample of the oil they drain and take a good photo of it. Ask the mechanic what they think of the oil draied out. You will probably get a better price and more conversation out of a local independent, but I all depends how busy they are.

Guru

You listed the car as a sensodrive but refer it to as an auto.

If it's an auto, change the auto fluid.

If it's a sensodrive, trade it in. Sensodrive would be very expensive to repair.

Contributor

I’m not sure what type of gearbox it is I have paddles??

It’s out of question monetary wise to trade in as i would loose money and can’t afford finance.

Thanks for your help
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

clairebal36 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:25 pmI recently bought a Citroen C3 automatic car, was owned by a disabled lady so hasn't done many miles.
Not quite the reply that some forum members would give but given the car's age and seaming lack of use I would take it for a run and give the gearbox a good workout.

Let the engine warm up properly with a good drive on a dual carriageway or similar and then use the flappy paddles to change down to lower gears, start at slow speeds to be able to change down into first, then increase the speed and change down from higher gears. I think lack of use and short journeys have allowed parts within the gearbox to stick. A good warm up and some use could just save it.

The caveat, it's not my fault if it breaks! :o :lol:

My mum's car spends 99% of it's time parked in a garage, it does a few short trips to the shops, about a mile each way and averages about 250 mile a year. The engine doesn't seem to mind but the auto-box starts to get lumpy and quite unpleasant to drive. Every few weeks I take to to fill up with fuel and give it a little 'exercise' on the way back, engage sport mode and use the flappies! :D
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol:

Guru

clairebal36 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 2:40 pm I’m not sure what type of gearbox it is I have paddles??

can you take a photo of the gear selector in the centre console and attach it using these instructions to help identify what gearbox you have.

Contributor

Thanks

It also has the engine management light on.

I really like my little car and would be loathe to trade it in, I may get the gearbox oil changed though.

How do I find out if its a sensodrive or automatic?

Guru

clairebal36 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:53 pm Thanks

It also has the engine management light on.

I really like my little car and would be loathe to trade it in, I may get the gearbox oil changed though.

How do I find out if its a sensodrive or automatic?
See my post above about taking a photo.

Don't spend money on the gearbox if you have an engine light on.

You have an engine fault to investigate before putting money in the gearbox.

Only change the oil if it is a fully automatic. Changing the oil on a sensodrive is a waste of time and money for this fauly and you will need deep pockets to fix this car.