automatic, intermittent service - gearbox fault.

If you have Automatic gearbox problems or issues that would only affect an Auto, please ask here.

Please provide as much information as possible including photos you have taken and uploaded directly to the topic.
My Name: clairebal36

Contributor
Model: C3 2009-2013, New shape (A51)
Year: 2011 (11)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 17000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: SensoDrive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Will get photo.

There is no park function my car is either in neutral or gear.

Took that in and the bloke said it just needed a good run to clear the fault!

Claire

Contributor

gearbox.jpg
gearbox.jpg (51.27 KiB) Viewed 282 times
This is what mine looks like
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Thanks,

Looks like the senodrive.

The sensodive is a manual type gearbox with a clutch but the clutch and gears are controlled by a robot.

They give lots of problems, are very expensive to repair and give very little in return, other than driving on a restricted licence there is nothing going for them.

So it sounds like you have an engine fault, that could be very expensive to repair and a faulty sensodrive that is not going to be cheap.

Ignore the part about changing the gearbox oil, as this does not apply to the sensodrive because it us just a manual gearbox.

By all means give it the 'Italian tune-up', but you will need the codes read for engine ECU and Gearbox ECU to get an understanding of the faults, but the code reading won't repair anything.

Contributor

Pretty depressing news when you have shelved out £3k on a car. Its like brand new inside.

What is the Italian tune up?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

clairebal36 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:26 pm
What is the Italian tune up?
It is this:
Missing Lincs wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 3:05 pm
Not quite the reply that some forum members would give but given the car's age and seaming lack of use I would take it for a run and give the gearbox a good workout.

Let the engine warm up properly with a good drive on a dual carriageway or similar and then use the flappy paddles to change down to lower gears, start at slow speeds to be able to change down into first, then increase the speed and change down from higher gears. I think lack of use and short journeys have allowed parts within the gearbox to stick. A good warm up and some use could just save it.

The caveat, it's not my fault if it breaks! :o :lol:
clairebal36 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:26 pm Pretty depressing news when you have shelved out £3k on a car. Its like brand new inside.
Yes, not what you would expect. Getting an engineers report or a full test drive (up and down all the gears, up to temperature, speed, corners, speed bumps etc) would usually help, although you did test drive it, maybe you didn't test drive it enough.

Sellers can be very dishonest and buying privately is a minefield.

Contributor

I’m going to take it in and get all the codes read to understand where I’m going with the problem and then see where I can go from there.

Ill keep you up dated, anyone want to buy a Citroen hehe
These users thanked the author clairebal36 for the post:
C3CAR
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

The Sensodrive is basically the same as a '5 speed' manual gearbox but it has servos and a computer that operate the gear change and clutch.

While it's not the only potential problem, most troubles with the sensodrive center around the clutch servo. It gets the most work and has to perform a very delicate operation. If it doesn't perform correctly the gearbox computer can have a fit.

The other thing a lot of people don't understand is, that being a manual gearbox, the clutch in it can wear out. It's just normal wear and tear. Again, if things don't go according to plan the gearbox computer has a fit.

Jim Butterworth has a huge web page on the Peugeot 1007 which has the sensodrive gearbox.
Try resetting the gearbox. Use this link:

http://jimbutterworth.co.uk/5gearreset.htm

If you still have the owners manual, the reset procedure is in there too.
If you have a rummage around his site you will find a lot about the Sensodrive gearbox and it's clutch actuator.

If you still do not have any luck I would recommend taking it to your local Peugeot dealer...yes Peugeot! I do not live in the UK but from what I hear Citroen are a bunch of Muppets. Unfortunately your local mechanic is not going to know much about the Sensodrive system.

C3CAR wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:52 pm They give lots of problems, are very expensive to repair and give very little in return, other than driving on a restricted licence there is nothing going for them.
Hey! I have a Sensodrive in my C2! :lol: (I own a C2 and a C3)

The Sensodrive is far superior to the AL4 auto as far as performance goes but on balance the potential for problems and cost of repairs is too risky. I personally have not had too many problems with my Sensodrive but the C2 has not done very many kilometers.
I am not a professional mechanic, however I do a lot of work on my own cars and I am not afraid of the Sensodrive.
While the AL4 automatic transmission has it's problems and a manual transmission needs it's clutch replaced throughout it's life, the Sensodrive seems to suffer the worst of both worlds!
I would not recommend it to a lay person (no offense intended).
Now it's not all "doom and gloom". If you can find someone who knows what they are talking about repairing the Sensodrive is not all that hard. Just finding that someone is the problem.

It's very hard (but not impossible) to change the odometer reading. So do you believe the car has only done 17000 miles?
If so, you really shouldn't be having troubles with the car.
A least not major troubles.
Some of the electronics may fail because of age but the Sensodrive should be OK. Try the reset as I said.

The only known fault with the 1.4 engine is the head gasket. At 17000 miles it wont have been replaced yet. Look for 'chocolate milk' like sludge in the oil filler cap and in the expansion tank (the spherical container in the engine bay). It may or may not occur, but look for the symptoms. Otherwise the engine is no more or less reliable than any other engine.

I would recommend changing the oil and the brake fluid.

Contributor

Hi

Just quick update.

Engine management light off cam shaft sensors replaced. Oil changed and filter replaced.

It has now on 2 occasions refused to select reverse both times it has been cured by putting it back in neutral.

I can’t believe at 17000 miles that it would develop a gearbox fault, I know it’s ten years old but it’s hardly done anything.

Claire