auto and snowflake symbol flashing, won't turn over.

If you have Automatic gearbox problems or issues that would only affect an Auto, please ask here.

Please provide as much information as possible including photos you have taken and uploaded directly to the topic.
Forum rules
One question per topic about an Auto or semi-auto gearbox can be posted in this section
No engine questions
Think: Auto not changing up or down, snowflake/sport flashing, flappy paddles, actuator fault and sensodrive not changing gear.
My Name: Cunwina

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 96000
Trim Level: NA
Gearbox: SensoDrive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Daughters C3 auto 2003 had been playing up, it started then after driving a short distance in automatic it would get stuck in gear, if you left it running until it was warm then turned it off and on it would start and drive normally, but if you turned it off straight away it would not restart for a good 4 hours but eventually it would start. However now it will not start at all, starter motor has been checked and working, engine will start if you bypass the ignition switch. When turned on all panel light work as should then we are left with an auto and snowflake symbol that are both flashing, and the engine will not turn over. Any ideas very frustrating as when running all works fine.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Cunwina wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:00 pm Daughters C3 auto 2003 had been playing up, it started then after driving a short distance in automatic it would get stuck in gear, if you left it running until it was warm then turned it off and on it would start and drive normally, but if you turned it off straight away it would not restart for a good 4 hours but eventually it would start. However now it will not start at all, starter motor has been checked and working, engine will start if you bypass the ignition switch. When turned on all panel light work as should then we are left with an auto and snowflake symbol that are both flashing, and the engine will not turn over. Any ideas very frustrating as when running all works fine.
Hi

You have a sensodrive from 2003 and it's developed a fault. I can tell you there is a fault because you said that 'an auto and snowflake symbol that are both flashing' and this is a fault indicator. It also is inhibiting the starting (for safety, no starting in gear).

The first thing is that a sensodrive from 2003 will be more expensive to repair than the cost of replacing the car of the same year.

Secondly, you can only diagnose this with the lexia tool (available here) and some information about what lexia tool lives here (C3 lexia info topic). The lexia tool will read the auto and snowflake symbol flashing and give you a code. The code can point you towards the problem. Probably a gear selector sensor problem but you will only know more when you read the codes.
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

The poor old sensodrive gearbox is much maligned and there is a lot of mis information going around about it.

I cant tell you what's wrong with the gearbox but I can tell you what the usual suspects are.

The first is the clutch actuator. This is basically a motor and a gearbox and it takes the place of your clutch peddle, moving the clutch in and out. Either corrosion gets in there or the carbon brushes wear out. That's not the only thing that can go wrong with it but that's typical.

The clutch. Just like a manual gearbox the clutch WILL wear out sooner or later. Unfortunately the sensodrive does not communicate very well with humans and a failure is a failure as far as it's concerned.

Corrosion on the sensodrive ECU electrical connectors. The sensodrive ECU sits on the side of the gearbox and gets water splashed all over it in the rain. Some times this water gets into the connectors and damages the pins causing random faults. One of the worst things they do to cars is to salt the roads in winter. This causes rust, corrosion and destroys electrics.

With out the car being put on a LEXIA for diagnostics you will have no idea what its complaining about or where to start.

If you do not have access to a LEXIA, if I were you, I would take the car to a Citroen or Peugeot (yes Peugeot) dealer. Get them to diagnose the fault, get a written quote for repairs AND WALK AWAY!!! Do not commit to repairs!! The quote will tell you what they believe is the problem and you can make a decision from there.

In the meantime you can try a gearbox reset. The procedure is in the owners manual. A few tips:- before starting the reset make sure the dash displays a "-" for the selected gear. Keep disconnecting the battery until you get that dash symbol (-). The gear box should click and clack for a good 60 seconds during the reset. If it clicks and clack for only a second or two, try it again.

This might fix your problem but I think it might only buy you some time.

Good luck.