loading Lexia, new laptop. 32 or 64bits

Help with sourcing, buying, installing and using Lexia, Diagbox and OBD2 for a Citroen C3.
Diagbox or Lexia errors, software and hardware problems.
OBD2 Bluetooth and apps, laptops and software.
No car questions here, just the diagnostics equipment
Forum rules
Questions regarding installing and using Lexia, Diagbox or OBD2 for the Citroen C3

No camera photos, please use ONLY SCREENSHOT captures on Lexia or Diagbox

OBD2 may use camera photos.

NO CAR QUESTIONS.
My Name: bidderman1969

Experienced Member
Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2004 (54)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 110000
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: SensoDrive
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

nothing seems to be straight forward with this.

it wouldn't load onto my vista windows laptop because it prompted that i need 64 bit system, and the one i had was 32, so i got a brand new laptop, this.....

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ ... er-aspire-...

so, windows 10, better than i need software i believe, but for some reason it seems gobbledygook trying to load up the stuff onto it. 2 discs, but doesn't say which one first, so far i "seemed" to faded the VM player or whatever it is, and a RAR file from one of the discs.

now I'm sort of going through and just seeing what i can load as the video instruction is ok unto a point then just gets a bit too complicated for someone like me who doesn't know a lot about computing

how do you know if its all loaded on? and can someone link me to the right section, as i can't seem to see :?

Experienced Member

absolutely sick to death of this thing now

reading bits and pieces on the discs, it says it can't be used with anything but XP windows, and bits saying you can't use it with 64 bit operating system, and yet there is a "RAR" file for both 32 and 64 bit systems, won't instal onto a 32 bit system because it comes up on there with a big red cross saying it has to be a 64 bit operating system........ goes on and on and on.......

doing my bloody head in is this FFS

thought i had the Diagbox loaded, then tried the updates and it went into French!

why can't there be one disc, press "outrun" and it loads it all on, then its done and dusted, simples!
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Lexia is known to work on windows 7 32 bit as Diagbox.

Its unknown by me that diagbox or lexia run on windows 10 (32 or 64bit), I have yet to test this (but I will give it a go soon).

Old laptops tend to fare better with lexia under XP or diagbox under windows 7 32 bit because its older laptop that have 32 bit windows. This doesn't mean new laptops can't have 32 bit, but they don't come out of the factory in 32bit.

There are many versions of Diagbox and knowing what version you are trying to install will help.

Windows 10 comes in 32 and 64 bit and it would be good to know which version of windows 10 you are using.

There is a lot of information about windows versions and lexia/diagbox install in the tips section here

It may also help if you can say which version of diagbox you are trying to install.
bidderman1969 wrote:thought i had the Diagbox loaded, then tried the updates and it went into French!
Do you even need the updates?
The version of diagbox or lexia installed may be sufficient for your year of C3. No need to do updates if they are not needed. Don't do any online updates.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

Arfur Dent wrote:bidderman1969 wrote:
thought i had the Diagbox loaded, then tried the updates and it went into French!
Diagbox 5.20 has options to change the language and change the language in a emergency!! :o
change language in Diagbox
change language in Diagbox
Language options in Diagbox
Language options in Diagbox
This is my Diagbox/Lexia running on XP that connects to my 2002, but it will connect to later cars.

bidderman1969 wrote:it wouldn't load onto my vista windows laptop because it prompted that i need 64 bit system, and the one i had was 32, so i got a brand new laptop, this.....

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ ... 5-pdt.html
You may be better off putting XP windows 7 32 bit on the old (vista) laptop and using your new laptop for everything else :D

I find lexia and diagbox work ok on 32bit systems, but I suppose it depends on the version you are installing, I have an old version because its an old Actia box and it works just fine.
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Mileage: 140000

bidderman1969 wrote:how do you know if its all loaded on?
You get some extra icons on the 'Desktop' or whatever you would like to call it on Windows 10.
Arfur Dent wrote:There are many versions of Diagbox and knowing what version you are trying to install will help.
All the versions would be helpful. From what I have heard Diagbox won't work on windows 10 and I have checked the tips section for anything that says use Windows 10 and I can't find it to delete it.

I do see a fair bit about using XP or Windows 7-32BIT
bidderman1969 wrote:so far i "seemed" to faded the VM player or whatever it is
It sounds like you are installing a virtual machine to run diagbox or lexia. Its much more complicated that way because you have to remember you now have what is effectively 2 computers and you need to install the USB drivers into the correct one.

If you have not done VMs before you are on a learning curve.

Experienced Member

cheers for the input chaps, must be frustrating for you guys talking to a tech idiot, but hey ho, its not my day job, lol

this is what i purchased in the end.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321680227176? ... EBIDX%3AIT

should have the info you need?

why is there 2 discs? neither are labelled which doesn't help!

the only thing left to do, is get the missus to finally reset the old laptop (which is confusing as it says it needs 64 bit to work, and states the laptop is 32 bit so won't load, :? :? :roll: :roll: ) which is an ACER Aspire 5735Z, should that actually do it? really?

this seems to be an old review....

https://www.notebookreview.com/notebookr ... 5z-review/
15.6” WXGA glossy display (16:9 aspect ratio, 1366×768 resolution, model AUO10EC)
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Intel Pentium Dual-Core T3200 processor (2.0GHz/1MB L2/667MHz FSB)
2GB DDR2-667 RAM
160GB 5400RPM hard drive (Western Digital WD1600BEVT)
Intel GMA 4500MHD integrated graphics
Intel GL40 chipset
Atheros AR5B91 802.11 Draft-N wireless
DVD Super-Multi drive
Full-size keyboard w/ number pad
Weight: 5.9 lbs
Dimensions: 15.1” (W) x 9.9” (D) x 1.5” (H)
Six-cell battery (11.1V, 46Wh/4600mAh)

hope this helps?

so do you need the2 discs then? what order do you do them in? as i said, theres no instructions at all

Experienced Member

trying to load that software on it is proving a nightmare tbh

so reverted back to the other laptop, my ACER Aspire 5735Z with specs along these lines

https://www.notebookreview.com/notebookr ... 5z-review/

and just kept getting this kind of stuff........
crc error
crc error
file error
file error
got to this point and it just kept trying to fully "load up" (where the green line at the top goes across the tool bar part)
files
files
not responding
not responding
error
error
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

bidderman1969 wrote:so reverted back to the other laptop, my ACER Aspire 5735Z with specs along these lines
bidderman1969 wrote:which is an ACER Aspire 5735Z, should that actually do it? really?
Yes. That is a good laptop for LEXIA and DIAGBOX, it even runs on much older hardware than that. Its 32 BITS and that makes things easier.
bidderman1969 wrote: (which is confusing as it says it needs 64 bit to work, and states the laptop is 32 bit so won't load, :? :? :roll: :roll: )
You don't say what needs 64 bit to work. At what point do you get a message about 64bit? I assume you are trying to load something extra, that is not Diagbox, that needs 64 Bit. What is it?

bidderman1969 wrote:and just kept getting this kind of stuff........

That is a corrupt file due to a bad DVD or CD.

No problem, because you can download winrar from the internet.
its here https://rarlabs.com/download.htm

The file is bad because the DVD or CD is bad. This is most unhelpful (no instructions). Message the person you bought it from and explain the discs don't read if you laptop can read any other disc you have. Can your new laptop read the instruction file? If not, the DVD is bad and you need another.

If the instructions are bad, then the other files could be bad too.

You have the 'view file extensions' switched off in your vista which makes it difficult to see what you are showing.

This is how you show file extensions
show file extensions in vista
show file extensions in vista
not responding
not responding
2450.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 159 times
more evidence of the DVD drive struggling to read a DVD, be it a bad disc or a bad drive. (see above for testing)

Experienced Member

thanks so much for this help, so much appreciated 8-) :geek:
C3driver52 wrote:
bidderman1969 wrote:so reverted back to the other laptop, my ACER Aspire 5735Z with specs along these lines
bidderman1969 wrote:which is an ACER Aspire 5735Z, should that actually do it? really?
Yes. That is a good laptop for LEXIA and DIAGBOX, it even runs on much older hardware than that. Its 32 BITS and that makes things easier.

thats good, sort of, lol
bidderman1969 wrote: (which is confusing as it says it needs 64 bit to work, and states the laptop is 32 bit so won't load, :? :? :roll: :roll: )
You don't say what needs 64 bit to work. At what point do you get a message about 64bit? I assume you are trying to load something extra, that is not Diagbox, that needs 64 Bit. What is it?

i will get another screen shot of that tonight, hopefully show what its trying to do, but i thought it was downloading the "RAR" 32 bit file, but don't hold me to it :lol:

bidderman1969 wrote:and just kept getting this kind of stuff........

That is a corrupt file due to a bad DVD or CD.

No problem, because you can download winrar from the internet.
its here https://rarlabs.com/download.htm

cheers muchly

The file is bad because the DVD or CD is bad. This is most unhelpful (no instructions). Message the person you bought it from and explain the discs don't read if you laptop can read any other disc you have. Can your new laptop read the instruction file? If not, the DVD is bad and you need another.

If the instructions are bad, then the other files could be bad too.

yes, the new laptop was reading it all ok, was using a Samsung stand alone DVD/CD rewriter drive thingy, anyhow, sent that back now as a) i wasn't convinced it was "new", b) it was windows 10, which as of yet, we're not sure it will work properly on it anyway

You have the 'view file extensions' switched off in your vista which makes it difficult to see what you are showing.

This is how you show file extensions
2450.jpg
2450.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 158 times
wicked, cheers for that
2450.jpg
2450.jpg (26.09 KiB) Viewed 158 times
more evidence of the DVD drive struggling to read a DVD, be it a bad disc or a bad drive. (see above for testing)
thinking of resetting the whole laptop back to factory settings, maybe that will clear out all the cobwebs? otherwise, i was thinking the processor was breaking down?

I'm getting the local shop to source me something, he looked at the specs, looked around what he had in store, and they are all 64 bit machines, so said he would check the stores stock and maybe get a 32 bit one in by thursday afternoon and said he would load it on if i was interested in the laptop

PC Requirements:
Hardware requires at least Intel Celeron/Pentium III 400 MHz, 128 MB RAM, 50MB free HDD space and USB 1.1 port (USB 2.0 recommended)
Lexia and PP2000 supports Windows XP only.
Diagbox supports Windows XP
/ Vista / 7 / 8 32bit only . (Recommended to install!)
* For 64bit systems you need to use VM WARE or Virtual XP ( you must know yourself how to do this for 64bit, if you don't know, just google you will smile.)

when i looked more closely, it seems you can't run all the software on windows vista, 7, 8 32 bit only, but reads as it would all work with XP ?

Experienced Member

taken the plunge, gone for this laptop now

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112053480022?_trksid=p2055119.

tell me I've bought the right one/good one! :? :? :? :? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

what are peeps running their Lexia on?