Is Lexia the hardware and Diagbox is the software?

Help with sourcing, buying, installing and using Lexia, Diagbox and OBD2 for a Citroen C3.
Diagbox or Lexia errors, software and hardware problems.
OBD2 Bluetooth and apps, laptops and software.
No car questions here, just the diagnostics equipment
Forum rules
Questions regarding installing and using Lexia, Diagbox or OBD2 for the Citroen C3

No camera photos, please use ONLY SCREENSHOT captures on Lexia or Diagbox

OBD2 may use camera photos.

NO CAR QUESTIONS.
My Name: Deltech

Contributor
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2007 (07)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 77000
Trim Level: Desire
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

I am considering asking for Lexia/Diagbox for Christmas.

Can I just ask that Lexia is the hardware and Diagbox is the software?

Also, I am sure I read somewhere on here that it only runs on Windows XP (though I can't find where I read that).

I only have access to one laptop, and it runs Windows 8.1, so would I be able to use Lexia/Diagbox?
My Name: C3CAR

Guru
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 140000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

Deltech wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:51 am I am considering asking for Lexia/Diagbox for Christmas.

Also, I am sure I read somewhere on here that it only runs on Windows XP (though I can't find where I read that).

I only have access to one laptop, and it runs Windows 8.1, so would I be able to use Lexia/Diagbox?

Hello

Lexia is the software for older C3 and Diagbox is for later C3. Diagbox software contains lexia software and will switch automatically as needed depending on which car it is connected to.

Actia box is the hardware, but everything together is called Lexia or Diagbox (it all means the same now) and you can't use Actia box without the Lexia or Diagbox software.

It usually comes in a package like this: Lexia PP2000 full chip, Rev C Diagnostic Citroen Tool - the full package of software and hardware at a later version so it will work on later cars. This is good for the reason that it will work on a different Citroen, like a later purchase or a fiend or family member with a Citroen (not just a C3).

You can run the software on Windows 8.1 in a virtual box environment, repartition your 8.1 and install a dual boot 7 32bit alongside 8.1 or pick up a second hand windows 7 32 bit laptop.

Either way, have a read of the lexia help topic for even more information :D
My Name: Ozvtr

Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Deltech wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:51 am I am considering asking for Lexia/Diagbox for Christmas.

The major problem with the LEXIA debacle is the fact that both the software and hardware (that you can buy) are pirated! So there is no real support.
There are two main problems.
1) The software is very finicky. Depending on your computer hardware, you may have to stand on your head and stick your tongue out to get it working. The early software only ran on 16 bit operating systems (XP) but later versions will run on 32 bit machines. The process for authenticating the software will drive you insane!
2) The hardware is a Chinese knock-off. That means the quality is hit and miss. A lot of vendors will advertise "full chip version" when it is not. The full chip versions are only required for the latest generation of cars, you don't need to worry about it for yours. So, while it might say full chip version and it's not, it will still be OK for your car. Confused?
Having said that, there is a lot of online help available and as long as the hardware is serviceable, then you should be able to get a machine up and running.
The only piece of advice I can give you is to make sure that where ever you buy the hardware from (Ebay or whatever) that you can get a replacement, without too much trouble, if the unit is D.O.A.
My first one was from Banggood and it was a dud, no help from them. The second was from Ebay and it runs fine.
There are lots of copies of different versions of the software online but be prepared for a lot of dis-information and head banging.
The prices are so low now that the head banging is actually worth it and you will need it if you are serious about fixing your car yourself.
My Name: Missing Lincs

Year: 2004 (04)
Engine Size: 1.1
Fuel Type: Petrol
Trim Level: Desire
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

As Oztvr says, using anything but the official LEXIA, you are using a Chinese clone and 'altered' software.

However, with a bit of careful planning you can get a reliable working product.

My 'clone' came via ebay and it's been fine. I kept an old Windows 7 Pro laptop which I use to support older software.

W7 Pro support Windows Virtual Machine, essentially a second operating system which runs Windows XP.

There are many other ways around the software issue, you can install second drive partitions and boot from them as required, I have a PC that does that, although it has two physical hard drives rather than a partition. I found this method more difficult to configure but now it's running it's fine.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence and pretend you never tried :lol: