Can't 'Notify me when a reply is posted' checked by default

No CAR questions in here please. This section is for members to post their questions about the forum; forum or internet error messages received would should be posted here only. No lexia, OBD or Citroen C3 questions.
Forum rules
This area is for helping members with the operation of the forum and not for helping with their Citroen C3
My Name: soewhaty

Experienced Member
Model: C3 2006-2009, Facelift model
Year: 2006 (06)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 89000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: LHD (Europe)

Hi,

I find your forum super cool and useful. Thanks for even having it. One question - is it psbl to have 'Notify me when a reply is posted' checked by default so that I don't have to check it every time I post a msg. I find it very likely to forget to check it and if I did so, I would not receive any notifications about replies to forum posts I make. Believe me, it is not only me with that problem. I tried the user control settings, but nothing ... let me know if there's a way to tweak it or otherwise it'd be awesome if it could be set up by default to have a checkmark in the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' field. Makes life easier by not having to remember and not having to keep one's eyes open.

Cheers
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

soewhaty wrote:Hi,

I find your forum super cool and useful. Thanks for even having it. One question - is it psbl to have 'Notify me when a reply is posted' checked by default so that I don't have to check it every time I post a msg. I find it very likely to forget to check it and if I did so, I would not receive any notifications about replies to forum posts I make. Believe me, it is not only me with that problem. I tried the user control settings, but nothing ... let me know if there's a way to tweak it or otherwise it'd be awesome if it could be set up by default to have a checkmark in the 'Notify me when a reply is posted' field. Makes life easier by not having to remember and not having to keep one's eyes open.

Cheers
Hi soewhaty, boardwatch can handle the topic notifications and after logging in, you can look at the options for topic notification by boardwatch HERE.
topic notifications on the forum CitroenC3owners.com
topic notifications on the forum CitroenC3owners.com
Click for a better view of the image

Would this help you get the notifications you need?

Some email notifications do get caught up in spam boxes or just get bounced back by their ISP. I would suggest you do as much 'whitelisting' and 'mark as safe sender' type of actions on the boards emails to try to encourage ISPs to continue to accept our emails.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

Thank you so much for your time and reply. I tried those settings, but what I was talking about was the dialog for creating New Posts, which has these options, as seen in the attachment.

So, what I was asking about in the first place was having that 'Notify me when a reply is posted' box checked by default, cos I know i'd forget to check it every once in a while. F0r some reason the box is unchecked by default for me and it means I have to do it manually ... and I'll forget which kinda means I'll never hear from you guys and that'd be a pity.
Notify me when a reply is posted
Notify me when a reply is posted

Guru

soewhaty wrote:Thank you so much for your time and reply. I tried those settings, but what I was talking about was the dialog for creating New Posts, which has these options, as seen in the attachment.
Yes, I am aware of these options, but I wanted you to see the other ones that can override the ones you mention.
soewhaty wrote:So, what I was asking about in the first place was having that 'Notify me when a reply is posted' box checked by default, cos I know i'd forget to check it every once in a while. F0r some reason the box is unchecked by default for me and it means I have to do it manually ... and I'll forget which kinda means I'll never hear from you guys and that'd be a pity.
You can use boardwatch to get notifications when new replies are posted to any topic you are subscribed to, which negates the need to tick the box and is more powerful allowing you to subscribe to topics you didn't create.

The problem may be more along the lines of not being able to subscribe to a topic? If you are subscribed, you won't need to tick the box.

I don't imagine there will be any changes to the default settings, but this topic may generate enough interest from others who have a similar need to yours.

Subscribe Topic
Subscribe to topic
Subscribe to topic
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)

Experienced Member

I think this is the answer to my query.
Capture.PNG

Guru

Thank you for sharing the solution

Experienced Member

Hm, turns out this wasn't quite the solution. Although 'Notify me upon replies by default' in 'Edit posting defaults' was enabled I still didn't get some emails when some replies to the thread were made. I do know that it takes some time after the comment is made for the email to be sent, but regardless, I never got emails for some threads. Thus I had to manually visit the thread to check for new posts.

If this is a problem only with me, then please disregard this whole thread. If, however, someone else also has or ever would experience such an issue, I hope this thread could come in handy.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

soewhaty wrote:I do know that it takes some time after the comment is made for the email to be sent, but regardless, I never got emails for some threads. Thus I had to manually visit the thread to check for new posts.
Hello soewhaty - emails generally get sent immediately but, recently a large number of emails have been marked as 'spam' by some uses of some service providers causing a block on delivery of the email to many others because the 'email block list' is shared with other email providers.

It seems to be the actions of a few are impacting on a larger number of users.

I have been told that some changes have been made to the system but this will have a limited effect. Its up to the forum members to 'whitelist' or unsubscribe themselves rather than mark any of the forum email as 'spam'. It is also helpful unmark any email identified as 'spam' when its not.

Some ISP or email providers are more trouble than others, so some people get more effected than others.

Experienced Member

Thanks C3driver52! I just received an email about your latest comment, which is good! The problem is that it is very sporadic and I can't get the logic behind it. I doubts it has sth to do with spam with me cos for some time now i've been on the same ISP and sometimes I get an email notification (like now, for this thread) and other times I don't receive an email at all. I think that shows it's not a spam issue. It anyway never happened that an email from this forum was considered as spam over at my side, so I guess we can rule that out. Perhaps the ISP or email providers could be at fault here in some other way.

Thanks for your prompt reply anyway!