New owner - my opinions on New C3

Help and assistance for when you are looking to buy a Citroen C3
(Citroen C3 for sale)
Forum rules
Buying a Citroen C3?
Do you have some questions for C3 owners or would like some pre-purchase advice?
Ask your buying a Citroen C3 questions here :)
My Name: Paul

Contributor
Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2010 (10)
Engine Size: 1.6
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 75029
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 diesel (70 PS)

Hello all.

My post should be of benefit to prospective purchasers. My car is a C3 Puretech 82 ''Feel'', 29/05/2018 and now with almost 1700 miles on the clock, Almond Green/Black roof, Charcoal int.

I chose not to take the optional ''paintguard'' finish so my first job was to lay on 3 coats of carnauba wax. As you can imagine this required a certain amount of physical effort. Imagine my horror when I noticed a couple of days later, dents on the roof where I had rested my arms while reaching over to polish the roof. A couple of dents slighter smaller than a golf ball but actually on the crease lines in the roof. I guess when it comes time to part it will be a job for the dent man. My only real disappointment with the car though.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You either like the funky looks or you don't, so 'nuff said there. I've done a couple of shopping trips to Belgium 450 miles round trip, but the car is otherwise used locally so I do feel qualified to pass comment. I was concerned at all the road test reports I'd read that these cars lack power to keep up with current traffic. Well I have to say that is rubbish. The car is very nippy up through the gears, so much so that I have taken to using the speed limiter when I'm local or in a town. Driven by my normal standards I find the car goes straight up to about 35-40 if you're not keeping a tab on things. On the motorway I set the cruise to 70 and it holds this up and down hills all day long. Yesterday I was on the gridlocked M25, it had no trouble keeping up with the manic stop/start routine, and was straight up to 70 when the road cleared.

Performance is more than adequate but the fuel economy takes a bit of getting used to. I've not yet achieved the advertised fuel consumption figures. I've always been used to bigger engine cars incl autos which have an optimum cruise/economy speed of around 70. If you push the C3 you'll hammer the economy. Having said that it seems to be improving with time. A reasonable average at 70 is about 54MPG. Take the scenic route on an 'A' road and you can do 60MPG. The My Citroen app is a fantastic tool when bluetoothed between your smartphone and car. It prompts you to enter the cost of fuel when you fill up and calculates the cost of each journey and its MPG.

The interior of the car is roomy and comfortable in the front once you've shoehorned yourself through the doors. Not much space though for the back seat passengers but it is classed as a ''Supermini''. Luggage space is supposedly class leading. I came back from Belgium with 16 cases of wine,and coats and bits, all in the boot. Luggage had to go on the back seat. The weight does not affect the ride height or handling. The design of the interior could do with a little more imagination to create more locker space. There is a distinct lack of cubby holes. One major gripe I have is the blindspots at the bottom of the windscreen pillars. On the passenger side there is virtually no vision between the front of the pillar and the back edge of the quarterlight. The only way to have adequate vision at a junction or even on some bends is to shuffle about in your seat. It probably does not help that I have the driver's seat right back. Nevertheless for me it is an issue.

The ride errs more on the side of comfort but it is not a sports car, so no complaints from me.

One thing I do find remarkable is the level of technology incorporated into a car of this class. Things like lane assist, tyre pressure monitors, full Bluetooth phone connection, speed sign recognition, plus loads more, too much to list and if I did I would forget something. Look up the spec on the Citroen site.

the car comes with 3 years warranty and 1 year full European breakdown assistance.

Hope this info helps someone to make an informed decision about their next purchase.
My Name: C3driver52

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (03)
Engine Size: 1.4 i
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79984
Trim Level: VTR+
DPF: No
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

Paul wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:30 pm Hello all.

My post should be of benefit to prospective purchasers. My car is a C3 Puretech 82 ''Feel'', 29/05/2018 and now with almost 1700 miles on the clock, Almond Green/Black roof, Charcoal int.

I chose not to take the optional ''paintguard'' finish so my first job was to lay on 3 coats of carnauba wax. As you can imagine this required a certain amount of physical effort. Imagine my horror when I noticed a couple of days later, dents on the roof where I had rested my arms while reaching over to polish the roof. A couple of dents slighter smaller than a golf ball but actually on the crease lines in the roof. I guess when it comes time to part it will be a job for the dent man. My only real disappointment with the car though.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. You either like the funky looks or you don't, so 'nuff said there. I've done a couple of shopping trips to Belgium 450 miles round trip, but the car is otherwise used locally so I do feel qualified to pass comment. I was concerned at all the road test reports I'd read that these cars lack power to keep up with current traffic. Well I have to say that is rubbish. The car is very nippy up through the gears, so much so that I have taken to using the speed limiter when I'm local or in a town. Driven by my normal standards I find the car goes straight up to about 35-40 if you're not keeping a tab on things. On the motorway I set the cruise to 70 and it holds this up and down hills all day long. Yesterday I was on the gridlocked M25, it had no trouble keeping up with the manic stop/start routine, and was straight up to 70 when the road cleared.

Performance is more than adequate but the fuel economy takes a bit of getting used to. I've not yet achieved the advertised fuel consumption figures. I've always been used to bigger engine cars incl autos which have an optimum cruise/economy speed of around 70. If you push the C3 you'll hammer the economy. Having said that it seems to be improving with time. A reasonable average at 70 is about 54MPG. Take the scenic route on an 'A' road and you can do 60MPG. The My Citroen app is a fantastic tool when bluetoothed between your smartphone and car. It prompts you to enter the cost of fuel when you fill up and calculates the cost of each journey and its MPG.

The interior of the car is roomy and comfortable in the front once you've shoehorned yourself through the doors. Not much space though for the back seat passengers but it is classed as a ''Supermini''. Luggage space is supposedly class leading. I came back from Belgium with 16 cases of wine,and coats and bits, all in the boot. Luggage had to go on the back seat. The weight does not affect the ride height or handling. The design of the interior could do with a little more imagination to create more locker space. There is a distinct lack of cubby holes. One major gripe I have is the blindspots at the bottom of the windscreen pillars. On the passenger side there is virtually no vision between the front of the pillar and the back edge of the quarterlight. The only way to have adequate vision at a junction or even on some bends is to shuffle about in your seat. It probably does not help that I have the driver's seat right back. Nevertheless for me it is an issue.

The ride errs more on the side of comfort but it is not a sports car, so no complaints from me.

One thing I do find remarkable is the level of technology incorporated into a car of this class. Things like lane assist, tyre pressure monitors, full Bluetooth phone connection, speed sign recognition, plus loads more, too much to list and if I did I would forget something. Look up the spec on the Citroen site.

the car comes with 3 years warranty and 1 year full European breakdown assistance.

Hope this info helps someone to make an informed decision about their next purchase.

Great review. It is interesting to hear about the good things that the C3 has. I guess the thin roof it a weight saving attempt.

Thanks for posting it :)

Contributor

Update

10 months on and still very happy with the car. I have not had to revisit the dealer for any reason. As a light user though, the car still only has just over 2500 miles on the clock.

Couple of things worthy of mention. I'm quite deaf but I can hear a whine on 4th gear at 1500 rpm. Maybe this is a characteristic of these cars but I'll mention it when it goes in for service next month.

I use the My Citroen app all the time to track journeys and download the data at the end of each month. Having downloaded March's data, journeys are no longer updating on my phone. I've uninstalled the app and done allsorts but to no avail. I put a call out to customer service and am waiting on a reply.

The only other thing is a possible very slight suspension rattle or knock when going over speed humps. I probably would not take notice but for the fact that I've read that drop links are a fault on older models.

Will update further if anything develops.
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

Having read your earlier review, I can understand why you are happy with the performance of the non-turbo engine. I had a C3 Aircrosser as a loan car withthat engine and I found it absolutely fine.Our C3 has the 110 bhp turbo, and probably has higher gearing up to 5th, but with a 6th on top. This is fine for cruising at any speed above about 50mph, but I do need to change down on any significant slopes.

On the point of fuel consumption, we have got 47mpg (calculated from filling, not computer), which I am a little disappointed with, but with only 1500 miles on the clock I expect it to improve a little. I don't know what the advertised fuel consumption is, but as it is done under lab conditions, not real life use, it is academic, and I would never expect to get anywhere near them. The best I expect is to make the combined figure on a long (usually continental) trip.

Contributor

Routemaster,

As you expect, the engine RPM with a 5 speed box is somewhat higher than the 6 speed. If I remember correctly I'm doing about 3200 at 70mph. Cars I have owned in recent years with bigger engines tend to do just under 3000rpm and I have always preferred to keep at that for economy's sake. Nevertheless you are going to push a small engine harder.

My most recent long trip was to Belgium via M40/M25 and so on. 2 stages recorded on My Citroen app were 141 miles @47mpg and on the return 103 miles @54.5 average. I tend to mostly use cruise at 70mph.

Update to My Citroen app. I have had quick response from Customer care and it seems that it is a 3rd party app. The software contractors have supplied instructions to reinstate the app but they have not worked. That is after 3 attempts, using 3 different smartphones and 2 attempts by the dealer. I am awaiting further response from customer care. Looking on Google Play the app has very mixed reviews. Lots of people cannot get it to work. I will be very upset if the app cannot be restored. It has worked fine for 10 months and has provided me with a continuous source of data and entertainment.

Contributor

Update.

The C3 is now 2 years old and just had it's 2nd annual service this week at (only) 3550 miles. As is the norm now, they supplied me with a video inspection of the underside.

Since my last update I have not had any problems and the service did not find anything either. I have to say I have only done a 1000 miles in the last year, partly due to current lockdown and my lack of trips abroad. So it's local trips only.

I mentioned previously that the suspension was noisy over bumps and that there was a slight transmission whine. These were checked at service and no fault found. I have to say the dealer loaned me a 19 plate C3 with less than 1000 miles on the clock and it displayed exactly the same characteristics so obviously that's the way they are.

I'm extremely frustrated by the My Citroen app. Several phones and re-installations later and it still would not work. My partner had a new phone on Android 9 and it now works intermittently on that. I have just got a new Android 10 phone and the first couple of trips out it still didn't work. However on the last trip it did work so I can but hope it will continue to do so.

Some will say this is fuss about nothing. But apart from it's entertainment value such as being able to tell my partner that her shopping trip has just cost me 20p in fuel :lol: , there is also a serious side in that it confirms where the vehicle was at a given time and date. In these days where cloning is rife it could be invaluable.

The app is part of the package and is at the least, unstable. Google Playstore shows mixed reviews. This really is not good enough for an organisation with Citroen's status. I suspect it will die a death because they can't fix it.

One other point to mention, the battery. I don't know if it's a low capacity battery but after parking up, if I sit with the radio on, it goes off after 20 or 30 minutes. A message on screen says it has gone into battery saver mode or something like. The radio will not come back on then until I start the car. So not much spare capacity.

I'm still very happy with the car overall. The above are observations and not complaints (apart from the app).
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Year: 2019 (19)
Mileage: 300
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed

Paul wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:38 am
One other point to mention, the battery. I don't know if it's a low capacity battery but after parking up, if I sit with the radio on, it goes off after 20 or 30 minutes. A message on screen says it has gone into battery saver mode or something like. The radio will not come back on then until I start the car. So not much spare capacity.
This is economy mode. Citroen have had this for many years; I had it on my 2007 C4 Picasso. The purpose is to switch off unnecessary electrical units to prevent the battery going flat. On my first one it would only allow the radio to run for about 5-10 minutes before the radio cut out. There is still plenty of capacity in the battery to start the car. Mine operated like this from new for about 4 years, and the battery was OK until I traded it at 4 years old.

The only time I had an issue with the battery was when I was on holiday on the continent. We had a fridge which was plugged in to the third row power socket. We came back from a day out and the kids forgot to unplug the fridge, which then ran all night. The car was totally dead the next day. As it was an EGS car, it wasn't possible to bump start it and I had to call out the European assistance for the only time to jump start it. This was obviously a problem for Citroen, as the economy mode didn't operate on the third row socket, but by the time they built the 2011 replacement, they had rectified the issue, and economy mode now worked on the third row.

Interestingly (to me anyway) on this car the economy mode normally kicked in after ~25 minutes, but the battery this time totally failed after 4 years.
My Name: Hatch Man

Year: 2018 (18)
Mileage: 15000
Gearbox: Automatic PRND

Paul wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:37 am Routemaster,

As you expect, the engine RPM with a 5 speed box is somewhat higher than the 6 speed. If I remember correctly I'm doing about 3200 at 70mph. Cars I have owned in recent years with bigger engines tend to do just under 3000rpm and I have always preferred to keep at that for economy's sake. Nevertheless you are going to push a small engine harder.

My most recent long trip was to Belgium via M40/M25 and so on. 2 stages recorded on My Citroen app were 141 miles @47mpg and on the return 103 miles @54.5 average. I tend to mostly use cruise at 70mph.

Update to My Citroen app. I have had quick response from Customer care and it seems that it is a 3rd party app. The software contractors have supplied instructions to reinstate the app but they have not worked. That is after 3 attempts, using 3 different smartphones and 2 attempts by the dealer. I am awaiting further response from customer care. Looking on Google Play the app has very mixed reviews. Lots of people cannot get it to work. I will be very upset if the app cannot be restored. It has worked fine for 10 months and has provided me with a continuous source of data and entertainment.
Hello Paul, your review is very interesting and very accurate I'd say. I have the Flair 1.2 litre 110ps turbo with the 6spd auto gearbox. Bought in 2018. It has 15,000 miles on the clock now and just keeps getting better and better in terms of both power and fuel economy. At 70mph mine is revving at 2250rpm with the auto of course in 6th gear. This tends to give me around 56-58mpg when cruising on my own in the car. My best cruising speed for economy is 58-60mph which has yielded 68-70mpg on long runs. I don't normally drive so slowly but sometimes it's inevitable when going into London on the A12 when traffic is so bad. Everyone doing the same slow speed, but it is good for economy though! So I'm thinking your fuel economy is pretty good because as yet your engine still hasn't fully finished "conforming" (the bit that takes place after the initial running in). All engines go through this process inspite of what salesmen tell you about your car not needing to be run in. While that may be true the engine still needs to loosen and conform it's internal. This seems to take around 8-10,000 miles on these engines. You'll notice the difference around that time I assure you. So both your fuel economy and power will no doubt continue to improve over time. And I agree those normally aspirated engines with 83hp are really good to drive with plenty of power. I had one for the day when mine was in for service. Very lively performer and no complaints from me. Lovely cars.

Hopefully we'll speak again soon. Enjoy the car.

Shame about the app. Hope you got it to work ok.

Contributor

Here I am again!

The car will be 3 years old at the end of May. Sadly C3 and I are parting company today.

Due to a recent addition to the family (grandchild, I hasten to add :lol: ) the car is no longer big enough for us. I can't even get the pushchair in the boot let alone shopping for 2 households.

Having researched what's available, I've settled for a 65 plate C3 Picasso. I am at an age now where I do not want to take on large financial commitments so I think this car best fits the bill. It has the same Puretech 1.2 engine but is much more spacious. A bit ''old hat'' technology wise compared to my car but so it goes. Strangely I note the road tax for the Picasso is only £30 whereas my car is £155.

The C3 has still only done about 4500 miles mainly due to lockdown and 2020 being the worst year of my life healthwise. It has been a great car and good fun to drive. The only thing that has slightly soured things is the dealer emailed asking if I was interested in an online valuation. I was happy with the figure but when I saw them in person the valuation dropped by £900 and not because of the condition. I left in disgust. Even ''Webuyanycar'' valued it at £500 more. I found the garage with the Picasso and he offered me the original online valuation I was given. Job done!

Anyway I am now looking forward to exploring and filling, all the hidey-holes in the Picasso.

Contributor

Well the Picasso was a thoroughly bad experience. After 5 months and several hundred pounds it's gone.

About 10 days out of the dealer 3 month warranty it smashed the front out of the gearbox and dumped the oil out onto the clutch and floor. No explanation could be found and unbelievably it was still driving. The box was not exchangeable so a replacement from a very low mileage car was used with a new Valeo clutch. Cost was £850 and the dealer offered £300 towards it. Bear in mind the car had service history and only 53k recorded miles.

Then there was the recall for the well known cambelt issue on these engines. Dealer checked it and said it was ok. Looking at the history I found 2 invoices for work carried out by the previous owner, value over £500, for work associated with the cambelt shredding.

The final straw was when I collected my brother from hospital. It was hot so I put the aircon on full blast for the 1.5 miles home. When I pulled up coolant was running like a river. After leaving it to cool I put 2.5 litres of water in.

I took the car to my local Peugeot/Citroen indie and he could not find a leak. However he said the engine had been apart and put back together very badly. He said it was not economically viable to do. I had been monitoring the value on WeBuyAnyCar for a while so I sold it while I could.

I am upset not just because of the money it cost, but I loved that car, it fitted me like a glove. So much so I've found a C3 HDi90 Picasso Exclusive which I'm picking up in a couple of days.

Maybe I was unlucky but I would not consider a car with an early Puretech 110 engine again. I've read in the press that they are changing back to chain drive for 2022.