General Pluriel roof queries before purchase.

Help and assistance for when you are looking to buy a Citroen C3
(Citroen C3 for sale)
Forum rules
Buying a Citroen C3?
Do you have some questions for C3 owners or would like some pre-purchase advice?
Ask your buying a Citroen C3 questions here :)
My Name: 23434984293sdadkj3

Model: C3 Pluriel - with or without roof
Year: 2002 (02)
Engine Size: 1.4
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 79998
Trim Level: VTR+
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)

Hi there,

Forgive me if this has been dealt with previously in an existing thread, but I would like a general overview on the roof issues. I am about to buy a 2008 Pluriel, manual, petrol, 1.4.

Firstly, I read on one forum that the roof mechanism has almost a 100% failure rate after 5 years or so. Is that correct or an exaggeration?

Is this due to issues taking on and off the rails damaging the mechanism? I don't intend to ever take off the rails, will that help keep it good longer?

Is there anything that can be done in terms of preventive maintenance to keep the roof healthy for longer?

Are there any tips, tricks, or secrets I should know about when testing the roof? Early warning signs etc

If the roof does go wrong, what is the % probability that it will need a total replacement? This would be the worst case scenario, as it seems like a £2k job?

Finally, has anyone had a Pluriel that never had any roof issues?

I like the car, and am a 2CV fan, but I'm nervous and scared about my future ownership of the pluriel!

Any advice/reassurance/scare stories welcome,

Thanks
My Name: Arfur Dent

Guru
Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2002 (52)
Engine Size: 1.4 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 100000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: DV4 16-valve diesel (90 PS)

23434984293sdadkj3 wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:34 pm Hi there,

Forgive me if this has been dealt with previously in an existing thread, but I would like a general overview on the roof issues. I am about to buy a 2008 Pluriel, manual, petrol, 1.4.

Firstly, I read on one forum that the roof mechanism has almost a 100% failure rate after 5 years or so. Is that correct or an exaggeration?

Is this due to issues taking on and off the rails damaging the mechanism? I don't intend to ever take off the rails, will that help keep it good longer?

Is there anything that can be done in terms of preventive maintenance to keep the roof healthy for longer?

Are there any tips, tricks, or secrets I should know about when testing the roof? Early warning signs etc

If the roof does go wrong, what is the % probability that it will need a total replacement? This would be the worst case scenario, as it seems like a £2k job?

Finally, has anyone had a Pluriel that never had any roof issues?

I like the car, and am a 2CV fan, but I'm nervous and scared about my future ownership of the pluriel!

Any advice/reassurance/scare stories welcome,

Thanks

Hi

The Pluirel roof is nothing but trouble. They are very mechanical and often neglected leading to damage.

My advice would be to avoid buying a pluriel altogether if you are not into fixing highly involved mechanical systems as they will all fail eventually.

I suppose that if a roof that was never used (you can remove them) this would be the best car to find, maybe import from a dry country?

If you employ someone to repair the roof it can cost from hundreds to thousands, it all depends what broke and if it was fixed in good time before the other bits broke. With multiple faults, it may be more economical to change the whole roof, but that is becoming less of an option as the parts are scarce.

The pluriel roof doesn't fail because they are removed, they fail because they are of a very poor design that needs a lot of care and attention that they just don't get.

The more the roof is used (opening and closing) the more wear it gets, the more it wears, the more likely it is to fail in some way.

There are lots of posts about the failures of the roof and not so many solutions.
You can add an avatar to your account - Avatar or change your vehicle details - Car Bio or even add a signature to your posts - Signature. But this is not all you can do in the User Control Panel :)
My Name: Ozvtr

Model: C3 2002-2005, Original shape model
Year: 2003 (53)
Engine Size: 1.4 (8v)
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 80000
Trim Level: Other
Gearbox: Automatic PRND
LHD or RHD: RHD
Engine name: TU3 (75 PS)

The Pluriel was designed by a mad engineer who escaped from a lunatic asylum! No disrespect to Pluriel owners but you must admit I'm right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CeSGqzSFHY

When the vehicle is designed with huge counter weights on the rear end...because it's handling is a bit dodgy without them...what other bizarre engineering disasters are lurking under it's exterior?

questions-about-a-citroen-c3-pluriel-f1 ... t2752.html

And this site alone has dozens and dozens of posts on problems with the roof. Most unresolved.

questions-about-a-citroen-c3-pluriel-f19/

Alarm bells should be ringing!!