Diesel DPF and Ad Blue advice wanted

Help and assistance for when you are looking to buy a Citroen C3
(Citroen C3 for sale)
Forum rules
Buying a Citroen C3?
Do you have some questions for C3 owners or would like some pre-purchase advice?
Ask your buying a Citroen C3 questions here :)
My Name: Stevek

Contributor
Model: C3 Picasso
Year: 2013 (13)
Engine Size: 1.6 (16v)
Fuel Type: Diesel
Mileage: 93000
Trim Level: Exclusive
Gearbox: Manual 5 speed
DPF: Yes
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: BlueHDi (100 PS)

Hi,Ive just joined and been looking at the forum questions trying to get a bit of a feel for the C3 Picasso Diesel and what I need to look out for when looking at one. Price wise we seem to be looking at 2012/13 models but have also seen advertised later ones up to 2016 that really are at the top of our budget. One question concerns the DPF filters, I have some experience of one of these on a 06 Saab tid but wondered if the DPFs fitted to these later C3s could be as troublesome? I notice that some newer models are badged “Blue” which we think are ones that take AdBlue,,,whats worried me is a few postings online of the Adblue pump failing which is sealed inside the Adblue tank,,,and a new tank is an eye watering £1000,,,so are ad blue models to be avoided or are the issues rare and that the blue helps to protect the DPF? Lastly we've just driven a 2011 model that was very nice, but I think there was a model change around then, is the “mk11” ( or is it mk111?) variant worth paying a lot extra for?
Many thanks in advance,
Steve
My Name: routemaster1

C3 Master
Model: C3 2017-on. The new C3
Year: 2019 (19)
Engine Size: 1.2
Fuel Type: Petrol
Mileage: 300
Trim Level: Flair
Gearbox: Manual 6 speed
DPF: No
LHD or RHD: RHD (UK)
Engine name: EB2DT-EB2ADT PureTech 3-Cylinder (110 PS)

Stevek wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:32 pm Hi,Ive just joined and been looking at the forum questions trying to get a bit of a feel for the C3 Picasso Diesel and what I need to look out for when looking at one. Price wise we seem to be looking at 2012/13 models but have also seen advertised later ones up to 2016 that really are at the top of our budget. One question concerns the DPF filters, I have some experience of one of these on a 06 Saab tid but wondered if the DPFs fitted to these later C3s could be as troublesome? I notice that some newer models are badged “Blue” which we think are ones that take AdBlue,,,whats worried me is a few postings online of the Adblue pump failing which is sealed inside the Adblue tank,,,and a new tank is an eye watering £1000,,,so are ad blue models to be avoided or are the issues rare and that the blue helps to protect the DPF? Lastly we've just driven a 2011 model that was very nice, but I think there was a model change around then, is the “mk11” ( or is it mk111?) variant worth paying a lot extra for?
Many thanks in advance,
Steve
The 'blue' has nothing to do with the dpf. When exhaust exits the engine and turbo, the dpf is the first unit of the exhaust. This is followed by thre catalytic converter.

The function of the dpf is to remove particulates, mainly soot particles, but also ash from the oil. This is why low SAPS oils are required. Cars fitted with a dpf have a pouch under the car which contains EOLYS fluid. This is injected into the fuel and depsits in the dpf. When the filter starts to block the car starts a regeneration process which the EOLYS catalyses to that the soot particles burn and the filter allows gas flow.

The catalytic converter is next in the flow. The purpose of this is to convert the nitrigen oxides, hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide in the exhaust to less environmentally harmful gases. This is what happens in a Euro 5 engine. However the system isn't as efficient as it could nbe, so Adblue is injected into the catalytic converter (long after the dpf) to lower the nitrogen oxide levels. As in theory it would make little difference to the performance of the car and it would be easy for owners not to bother, the system will warn when the Adblue level is low and eventually it will not be possible to start the car.